Reports to: Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Chaired by: Assistant to the Provost for Academic Equity and Inclusion
Charge for Diversity Council - Revised August 29, 2018
1. Provide the provost (and the President’s Council via the provost) with prioritized recommendations for efforts/actions that will improve campus diversity, inclusion, and climate based on data collected through various means.
- Provide recommendations on timelines for implementation of actions.
- Provide recommendations on metrics that can be used to gauge the effectiveness of activities.
- Provide guidance regarding potential strategies for addressing issues needing attention based on acknowledged best practices, the results of prior interventions at Michigan Tech and elsewhere, and/or other relevant information.
2. Review information provided by units on diversity-related initiatives.
- Provide information on a regular basis to the provost (and the President’s Council via the provost).
- Make information available to campus community as it becomes available.
- Identify, based on the information provided, successful best practices around campus that help to create a culture of belonging.
3. Examine University policies through a diversity and inclusion lens.
- Identify policies that promote equity and inclusion and provide the provost (and the President’s Council via the provost) with information about why and how these policies support diversity.
- Identify policies that should be modified to better support equity and inclusion and make recommendations to the provost (and the President’s Council via the provost) for improvement as appropriate.
4. Produce quarterly updates about best practices around campus and disseminate to the campus community.
Diversity Council Members
|Rehab (Ruby) Alhajjar||Graduate Student|
|Brent Burns||Corporate Partnerships|
|Jimmie Cannon||Undergraduate Student|
|Marina Choy||Graduate Student|
|Joe Cooper||Enrollment and University Relations|
|Lisa Cunard||UAW Representative|
|Abbi Halkola||Human Resources|
|Helen Halt||International Programs and Services|
|Gerald Jondreau||School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science|
|Ann Kitalong||University Senate|
|John Lehman||University Relations and Enrollment|
|Beth Lunde-Stockero||Institutional Equity|
|Audrey Mayer - Chair||School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
Assistant to the Provost for Academic Equity and Inclusion
|Logan McMillan||Undergraduate Student|
|Michael Meyer||Center for Teaching and Learning|
|Allison Mills||University Marketing and Communications|
|Adrienne Minerick||School of Technology|
|Brigitte Morin||Biological Sciences|
|Faith Morrison||Chemical Engineering|
|Amlan Mukherjee||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|Kellie Raffaelli||Center for Diversity and Inclusion|
|Carrie Richards||Office of the Provost|
|Brenda Rudiger||Alumni Relations|
|Shannon Vairo||Office of the of the Provost|
Department Diversity Goals
One task of the Diversity Council is to monitor and report on the progress of various diversity-related initiatives that are intended to meet Strategic Plan goals. This webpage will be updated with the information provided from each area and the page will be highlighted in regular Tech Today articles. Sharing best practices across campus will enhance our diversity initiatives.
Student Affairs and Advancement
- Advancement and Alumni Engagement
- Athletics and Recreation
- Dean of Students Area
- Enrollment, Marketing, and Communications
- Information Technology
- Pavlis Honors College
- School of Business and Economics
- School of Forest Resources and Environmental Sciences
- School of Technology
- Van Pelt & Opie Library
College of Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Fundamentals
- Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering - Engineering Mechanics
College of Sciences and Arts
What the Diversity Council is Reading
- When Your College Has Your Back
- Diversity and Inclusion - Put It in the Syllabus!
- Social Mobility, Return on Investment More Important than Arbitrary Rankings
- Supporting Students' College Success: https://www.nap.edu/download/24697
- 10 things every white teacher should know when talking about race
- Language of Appeasement
- "Without inclusion, diversity initiatives may not be enough"