The Michigan Technological University Diversity Award recognizes the accomplishments of a faculty and/or staff member of the University who contributes to diversity, equity, and inclusion through exemplary leadership and actions. Recipients will demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and sense of belonging (DEIS) as through recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, research, culturally responsive mentorship, inclusive programming, diversity literacy, community outreach activities, or other initiatives.
Criteria for Nominations
Nominees must be current faculty or staff of the University. Nominations can be submitted by individual employees (including supervisors, direct reports and peers of the nominees), students, alumni, University groups, employee networks and community organizations, or other University partners. The award is intended to honor those who have gone above and beyond to further and foster DEIS at the University. There are no restrictions on nominations for those whose primary job at Michigan Tech already falls within the framework of furthering and fostering DEIS. Self-nominations are acceptable.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Demonstrates activities to recruit, retain, and professionally develop individuals who increase the diversity of our faculty and staff
- Demonstrates activities to attract, recruit, and ensure the success of a diverse student body
- Creates activities, sponsors, and/or actively promotes programs, initiatives, and/or projects that promote a diverse and inclusive campus culture
- Collaborates with external departments/organizations to ensure a diverse and inclusive campus community
- Demonstrates efforts that exhibit a commitment to diversity in teaching, research, and service
The Michigan Technological University Diversity Award selection committee will be comprised of a subset of the University’s Diversity Council.
Award and Celebration
The award recipient will receive a $2,500 award and will be honored during the Faculty Awards Dinner held in September. The award recipient will be highlighted on the Diversity Council webpage and recognized in University publications.
April 30, 2022 - Nominations due to the chair of the University Diversity Council
June 1, 2022 - Notification to winner
Fall 2022 - Formal recognition
Instructions for Submitting Nominations
- Nomination form
- Use a separate form for each nominee. Make sure the contact information is accurate and complete.
- A nomination statement should be attached to this form and should not exceed two pages (limit of 500 words). The nomination statement should specifically identify the individual's exceptional contributions and accomplishments.
- Submit two additional letters of support for the nomination. The letters of support should affirm and corroborate the nominee’s exceptional effort to further/foster diversity at the University. Ideally, one of the letters of support should be from the individual's supervisor, department chair, director, or dean.
- Once nomination forms are submitted, the Diversity Council Award Committee will ask the nominee to submit a brief personal statement with an emphasis on their Diversity work.
- Completed nomination packets should be submitted as a single PDF to: Diversity Council Award Committee, email@example.com