2019 UPTLC at Michigan Technological University
"Toward Superior Teaching"
Friday, May 10, 2019
Fisher Hall, Michigan Technological University,
1400 Townsend Dr., Houghton, Michigan
Registration is open now through April 29, 2019!
The third annual Upper Peninsula Teaching and Learning Conference will be held on Thursday May 9 and Friday, May 10, 2019 at Michigan Technological University in Houghton, MI. We hope to attract more than 100 university educators from U.P. colleges and universities for presentations on higher education teaching best practice and networking.
Five tracks of sessions will be held concurrently, with a focus on:
- Active Learner-Centered Teaching (Rehki Hall, Room G005)
- Academic Advising (Fisher Hall, Room 133)
- Online Learning (Fisher Hall, Room 131)
- Inclusive Teaching (Fisher Hall, Room 132)
- Educational Technology (Fisher Hall, Room 101)
"Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone, Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education"
Friday, May 10, 2019
The keynote speaker this year will be Dr. Thomas Tobin, author of Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone, Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education. Tom will deliver a keynote of the same title to kickoff the conference on Friday morning, and a workshop entitled “Reduce Those Pesky Problem Course Areas” late Thursday afternoon.
Further details on presenters and abstracts.
|2:30 - 3 p.m.||Check-in|
|3 - 5 p.m.||Preconference workshop (Additional cost, $20)|
|5 p.m. - ?||Dinner and Networking adventures (TBA - Times may vary)|
|8 - 9 a.m.||registration|
|9 - 10 a.m.||Keynote|
|10:10 - 10:55 a.m.||Session 1 (45 min)|
|11:10 - 11:55 a.m.||Session 2 (45 min)|
|12:10 - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch (topics by "birds of a feather" table)|
|1:30 - 2:15 p.m.||Session 3 (45 min)|
|2:15 - 3:10 p.m.||Poster Session/Advising Coffee/Tea|
|3:15 - 3:45 p.m.||Session 4 (30)|
|4 - 4:30 p.m.||Session 5 (30)|
On-Site Conference Information
- Parking is available in Visitor Lot 27 for $3.00 daily. Cash only. (Bills and coins accepted. Exact change recommended as no change will be given.) Vehicles parked in other lots or unpaid metered spaces may be ticketed.
- Lodging Information
- Super 8 is offering a 20% discount on your hotel stay when you call 906-482-2240 to make your reservations and mention UPTLC.
- All sessions will be held in Fisher Hall (click for map). Check-in will be in Rekhi Hall room 101.
- Gender-Inclusive Restrooms
- Lactation Station Map
|Approximate Travel Times & Maps|
|Marquette, MI||2 hours||Google Map directions|
|Escanaba, MI||3 hours||Google Map directions|
|Sault Ste. Marie, MI||5 hours||Google Map directions|
|Ironwood, MI||3 hours||Google Map directions|
|Mackinac Bridge||5 hours||Google Map directions|
The UPTLC organizers strive to make our conference accessible and inclusive for all participants. This includes ensuring participants have access to facilities, information and technology. Requests for accommodations can be sent to email@example.com.
Michigan Technological University is a tobacco free, smoke free, and vapor free campus. For more information, see the Tobacco and E-cigarette-free Campus Initiative.