Spring 2022 Career Fair
Use these expert tips to get the most out of our Spring recruiting activities, starting January 31
Before Career Fair
- Update your resume.
- Research companies
- Download the Career Fair Plus app Video: MTU Career Services' How To Career Fair Plus.
- Review companies attending the fair on Career Fair Plus or Handshake.
- Pick the companies you want to meet with. Study their company website or LinkedIn page.
- Favorite the companies you want to visit in Career Fair Plus.
- Take notes and prepare questions to ask recruiters. ("What do you like most about working at ABC Company?")
- Talk with your academic advisor.
- Upload your updated resume on Handshake and update your profile.
- Upload your updated resume on Career Fair Plus.
- Plan your wardrobe.
- Plan your space that you will use for your video chat.
- Attend CareerFEST Virtual Events and practice networking with recruiters.
- Prepare your Personal Introduction.
During Career Fair
- Prioritize the companies you want to visit and schedule appointments with recruiters.
- While you're waiting in a virtual room, study your notes and questions for the company.
- Greet employers with a smile, and your personal introduction.
- When talking to a company rep highlight key points on your resume.
- Ask the representative for their contact information*.
- Thank the recruiter for their time.
- After your session, make notes about your conversation for a follow-up after the fair.
* Please note: Career Services does NOT have contact information for recruiters
Career Fair is over. What’s next?
- Send a thank you to any recruiters that you met with.
- Apply to companies that you met with at the Career Fair.
- Make connections on sites like LinkedIn.
- Prepare for any follow-up interviews you may get.
- Clear your voicemail inbox and check your spam folder for recruiters trying to contact you.
- Don’t give up on the job search! Plenty of companies are hiring on sites like LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Handshake, etc.
- Attend our events! We have plenty of events that will help you with the job search after Career Fair.
- Make an appointment with a Career Services coach or advisor for assistance with offer negotiations, follow-up emails and continuing your job search.
"I remember my first year at Michigan Tech. I was debating if I wanted to go to the career fair. I decided to go and because of it, I have a large network of industry professionals.
Go to Industry Days, go to Career Fair, get to as many events as possible. By going to these events, you will meet recruiters that will get to know you by name."
— Matthew Rudy '17
Future Career Fairs
Spring 2022 Career Recruiting Events:
Registration for Michigan Tech’s Spring 2022 Career Fair & CareerFEST Days has launched! To best accommodate students and our corporate partners for the upcoming recruiting
season, we will be offering a hybrid approach, hosting an assortment of both in-person
and virtual events.
Spring Career Fair will be hosted virtually on CareerFair Plus from 10am-7pm, Wednesday, February 16.
Additionally, CareerFEST Days will return for in-person recruitment opportunities, hosted at the Memorial Union Ballroom from 11am-2pm on January 31, February 1, and February 7.
Register here for any of these events.