The Faculty Distinguished Service Award is intended to complement the Distinguished Teaching and the Distinguished Research Awards already established at the University. It recognizes service to the Community that has significantly improved the quality of some aspect of campus or community life. The work could have resulted, in part, from compensated efforts, but it must have been of a level that distinguishes itself above and beyond the normal execution of those tasks. The Award is intended to recognize exceptional rather than integrated service. It is not a “lifetime achievement” award.
A cash prize of $2,500 accompanies the Award
The Award is open to all full-time faculty. This includes lecturers and research faculty. Those who hold restricted appointments (e.g., Adjunct, Visiting, temporary or part-time faculty) are not eligible. Faculty who hold positions with a significant administrative component (e.g., deans, associate deans, department chairs) are not eligible for the award.
Nominations will be accepted from any member of the University community including faculty, staff, students, and alumni(ae) and must be received by the Committee no later than the third Monday in March each year.
A complete nomination should:
- Describe the specific work for which the candidate is being nominated.
- Provide a detailed explanation of why the work merits the Award, including a description of how the service was exceptional and how it has significantly improved some aspect of campus or community life. If needed, the nomination should clearly outline how the work is separate from the nominee’s normal duties.
- Include appropriate supporting materials such as letters of support, newspaper articles, photographs, web links, etc.
Questions about eligibility, or the nomination procedure, should be sent to the Faculty Distinguished Service Award Committee.
The Award will be presented during the fall semester. It need not be awarded every year and may not be awarded to the same person more than once in any ten-year period. The Committee will contact the nominee in order to verify that he/she wishes to be considered for the Award and to obtain a short-form vita.
Closing date for receipt of nominations is the third Monday in March of the given year.
Procedure to Nominate a Faculty Member:
- Read instructions for nominating a faculty member (https://www.mtu.edu/senate/resources/faculty-award/)
- Prepare your nomination following the guidelines provided and save the entire package as a pdf.
- Send one pdf of your submission to the Faculty Distinguished Service Award Committee
Thank you for taking the time and effort to call attention to the service efforts of a member of the MICHIGAN TECH faculty
Information to be included in Faculty Distinguished Service Award Nomination
About the Nominator
About the Nominee
About the Service
- For what service are you making this nomination? Please confine your response about 3 or 4 sentences.
- What are the approximate dates over which the service was rendered?
- What was the nominee’s position in that time period?
- In your opinion: How has the service significantly improved some aspect of campus life? Why can this service be considered an exceptional contribution to the University community? Please provide examples to support your nomination and confine your response to no more than 1000 words.
- To your knowledge, was this service above and beyond the normal job responsibilities of the nominee? If the service is related to the nominee’s normal job responsibilities, please explain how their contribution is significant.
- Please consider including supporting documentation such as letters of support (can be from colleagues at Michigan Tech or individuals who are external to the University but connected to the nominee in a relevant way), newspaper articles, web links, photographs, etc. The supporting documents should address how the nominee’s contribution is significant.
- This Award is intended to recognize exceptional service rather than integrated service. It is not a "lifetime achievement" award.
- The Committee will contact the nominee in order to verify that he/she wishes to be considered for the Award and to obtain a short-form vita.