711.1.1 Graduate Faculty Status Appointment Procedures
Graduate Faculty Status appointment and retention decisions are made by the Dean of the Graduate School with recommendations and advice from department chairs, deans of colleges and schools, and the Graduate Faculty Council.
Recommendation for Graduate Faculty Status is made in writing by the department chair of the appropriate academic unit or by the dean of the appropriate school. These recommendations are forwarded to the appropriate College Dean, and then to the Graduate Dean.
A. Review of Graduate Faculty Status
It is expected that department chairs/school deans will continually review the performance of all individuals holding Graduate Faculty Status in their respective units using criteria outlined in Section C above. A "procedure for review of graduate faculty status" every eight years and a suggested "Review Template" is maintained by the Graduate School.
When, in a department chair/school dean's professional judgement, an appointment to Graduate Faculty Status is no longer appropriate the chair/dean must recommend that the appointment in question be changed or terminated. The Dean of the Graduate School may also initiate the process that leads to the change or termination of Graduate Faculty Status in consultation with the appropriate chair/dean.
A person removed from full appointment to Graduate Faculty Status during a review will be eligible for future recommendation to full appointment to Graduate Faculty Status.
- An individual (the appellant) may appeal to the Dean of the Graduate School, in writing,
the recommendation for change or termination of Graduate Faculty Status.
- Appeals must be made within 30 calendar days of being notified of the recommendation for Graduate Faculty Status change or termination.
- Appeals must specifically list the basis for the appeal, including the aspect of the policy or procedure that the candidate believes was violated or evidence that was not considered appropriately in evaluating their qualifications for the desired Graduate Faculty Status.
- The Dean of the Graduate School will forward the appeal to a standing committee comprised of members selected from among faculty with full appointment to Graduate Faculty Status. The composition and functioning of the Graduate Faculty Status Appeals Committee (GFSAC, pronounced "gif‐sac") will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate School, with the advice and consent of the Graduate Faculty Council.
- The GFSAC and the Dean of the Graduate School will forward their recommendations to the provost, who will make the final decision.
- The provost will communicate the decision to the appellant, the Dean of the Graduate School, and to any affected recommending bodies, generally within 30 calendar days of receipt.
Proposed to the Graduate Faculty Council on September 11, 2018.
Approved by the Graduate Faculty Council on September 25, 2018.
Dean’s Council on October 10, 2018
Introduced in Senate : February 20, 2019
Adopted by Senate: March 6, 2019
Approved by Administration: March 15, 2019