Other Programs

Nursing. Public health. Pathology. Audiology. Career paths in the health-care field are unbounded. We can help you find the courses and experiences that lead you to the work that inspires you.    


Registered nurses (RNs) provide care, and care coordination for their patients, educate them about their health conditions, and provide support to both patients and their families.

Most RNs obtain a bachelor of science degree (BSN) in nursing, but can also earn an associate’s degree, or a nursing school diploma. Accelerated nursing programs make it possible for students with a bachelor's degree to apply and complete a nursing degree in two years.

Michigan Tech does not have a nursing program, but students can complete their nursing pre-requisites here. If you want to apply to an accelerated nursing program, you can complete your bachelor’s degree at Michigan Tech—more than 50 undergraduate degree options to choose from. 

How to Apply

Nursing students apply to most nursing programs through the centralized application called NursingCAS (Nursing Centralized Application Service) or apply with individual schools. NursingCAS opens in August.

Course requirements vary by school, but common required courses include chemistry with lab, biology with lab, anatomy and physiology, microbiology, psychology, and nutrition.

Interested in nursing? Find a program. Check out the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) for more information.

Pre-Public Health

A master's degree in public health opens the door to many opportunities: work as a health and safety engineer, epidemiologist, biostatistician, health care administrator, or other positions. 

Students who apply to Masters of Public Health (MPH) programs must have a bachelor’s degree. They may also have to take course pre-requisites, which vary by school, to qualify to apply.  

How to Apply

You can apply to most MPH programs through the SOPHAS (Schools of Public Health Application Service) centralized application, or you can apply to individual schools. SOPHAS opens in August.

Interested in public health programs? Find a program. For some public health careers a degree accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) is preferred. A CEPH- accredited program is required if you want to be a certified health education specialist. Find CEPH-accredited schools.

Check out the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPH) for more information. 

Pre-Speech Pathology

A speech-language pathologist, or speech therapist, treat patients with communication or swallowing disorders that result from a variety of health issues including stroke, Parkinson’s disease or autism.

You must earn a master's degree to be a speech pathologist, so you will have to earn your bachelor's degree before you begin speech pathology studies. Course requirements vary by school; check the schools you want to apply to for the required courses you must take before you apply.  

How to Apply 

You can apply to most programs through CSDCAS (Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service) or with individual schools. CSDCAS opens in August.

Interested in speech-pathology? Find a program. Check out the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for more information.


Audiologists diagnose and treat patients with hearing, balance, or ear problems.

To be an audiologist you must earn a Doctoral Degree in Audiology (AuD). The program usually takes four years to complete. You need a bachelor's degree to apply to AuD programs and will need to ensure you've taken the courses required to apply to your school of choice—every program can be different so check with individual schools.

How to Apply

You can apply to most programs through CSDCAS (Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service) or with individual schools. CSDCAS opens in August.

Interested in Audiology? Find a program. Check out the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for more information.