Senate Proposal: No
Responsible University Officer: Vice President for Administration
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Established to enhance the research, scholarship, and instructional activity of faculty by increasing the level of external funding. The sponsored funding bonus is to provide funds for eligible faculty who seek extramural funding above their institutional base salary.
Sponsored funding bonus requests must be preapproved at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the work will be performed.
Two (2) weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the work is being performed, the eligible faculty does the following:
- Provides primary department with written request of the sponsored funding opportunity.
The justification will include:
- Name of research grant.
- Dollar amount of one-month release time.
- Index number for research grant.
- Time period the release time will be generated.
- Bonus dollar amount (75% of the salary paid by grant).
- Forwards written request to department.
The eligible faculty’s primary department does the following:
- Completes the following on a Bonus Request Form, available from Human Resources, Forms
and Information, Forms for Staff (Non-union) web site https://www.mtu.edu/hr/forms/ or by calling 7-2280:
- Enter the Employee Name and M Number
- Enter the Employee's Primary Department, Organization Number, and Date of Request.
- Enter the Contact Person's Name and Phone Number.
- Enter the Index(es))/Account Code(s) and Effective Date.
- Enter the Bonus Amount.
- Select the "Sponsored Funding" bonus type.
- Enter a brief justification of the reason for the bonus in the Comments/Justification
- NOTE: A more detailed written justification must be attached.
- Obtain approval from the department chair/director or higher in supervisory chain
of command, and a countersignature, if required.
- NOTE: When an employee's time and payroll dollars are to be charged to an index under the control of a department other than the one initiating the request, the department head of the second department must also approve this request.
- Obtain approval from the next in line of the supervisory chain of command (form requires two signatures).
- Completes the following online via the Employee Personnel Action Form (EPAF) to have
release time funds transferred from the research index to the general fund index.
- Department code.
- Index number.
- Dollar amount.
- Prints a copy the Employee Personnel Action Form (EPAF) and attaches it to the Bonus Request Form request.
- Forwards the Bonus Request Form packet, which includes the written request, the Bonus Request Form, and a copy of the request for account distribution form to the dean/provost for approval.
- Sends the original Employee Personnel Action Form (EPAF)to Sponsored Programs Accounting for approval of index.
- Forwards the Bonus Request Form to Human Resources for approval and processing.
Forms and Instructions
In support of this policy, the following forms/instructions are included:
|04/10/2017||Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. Business and Finance numbers renamed from "2.6000" to "6. Human Resources". Specifically from "2.6010.1—Sponsored Funding Bonus Request" to "6.10.1—Sponsored Funding Bonus Request".|