Senate Proposal: No
Responsible University Official: Registrar (Student System) Director of Human Resources (Employee System)
Responsible Office: Registrar's Office and Human Resources
Michigan Technological University recognizes that any faculty, staff, or student may choose to identify themselves within the university community with a preferred first name that differs from their legal first name. Preferred name will be used across university systems, where feasible.
The individual is free to determine the preferred first name they want to be known by, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name. The University reserves the right to remove a preferred first name if it is used inappropriately, including but not limited to, avoiding a legal obligation or for the purpose of misrepresentation. The legal name will continue to be used in university related systems, business processes, and documents such as reporting, financial aid, transcripts, payroll and tax documents, and other records where use of legal first name is required by law or University Policy.
Reason for Policy
The University recognizes that many of its community members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves.
Related Policy Information
This policy supports the University's Strategic Plan
Goal 1: An exceptional and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
1.2 Diverse, inclusive, and collegial environment
- promote inclusiveness and collegiality through openness, engagement, mutual respect, and understanding of diverse perspectives
- provide a rich cultural environment and a welcoming campus
|Office/Unit Name||Telephone Number|
Legal Name – The name that appears on government issued identification
Preferred First Name – A name other than the legal name; may not be used to avoid legal obligation or with the intention to misrepresent
Registrar's Office – Maintains preferred first name for students
Human Resources Office – Maintains preferred first name for employees
Preferred first name, when provided, will be maintained by the respective University offices (Registrar and Human Resources)
- provide a preferred first name through the online application for admission, or
- submit a preferred first name when they submit a photo for the Tech ID card, or
- contact the registrar's office to update their preferred first name, or
- log in to MyMichiganTech: select the "Current Students" tab -> in the Personal Information box on the right side, select "Review or Update Preferred First Name."
- submit a preferred first name when they submit a photo for their Tech ID card, or
- log in to BanWeb: select the "Personal Information" tab -> select the "Update Preferred First Name" option, or
- contact the Human Resources office to update their preferred first name.
|06/11/2015||Approved by Vice President for Student Affairs and Advancement and Vice President for Administration|
|04/10/2017||Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. General Policy numbers renamed from "2.1000" to "1.00 General University". Specifically from "2.1013—Preferred First Name" to "1.13—Preferred First Name".|
|09/01/2020||Updated University Officials to Registrar and Director of Human Resources from Vice President for Student Affairs and Vice President of Administration.|