Senate Proposal: No
Responsible University Officer: General Counsel
Responsible Office: Office of General Counsel
The Michigan Technological University community will have ready access to well-articulated and understandable University policies and related procedures.
University policies and procedures will be:
- presented in a common format,
- formally approved,
- centrally maintained,
- kept current within the framework of an organized system of change control, and
- distributed to all relevant operating units in a timely manner.
University policy is established by the University officers as designated by the Board of Trustees.
A University policy must satisfy all the following criteria:
- articulates a governing principle that mandates or constrains actions;
- applies broadly across the institution;
- is anticipated to change infrequently and sets a course for the foreseeable future;
- helps ensure compliance, reduces institutional risk, and is in support of and aligned with the university’s legislative purpose or its strategic plan
Approved University policies and procedures will be available at the University Policies website. Copies of the printed version of the policies and procedures may be requested from the Office of the General Counsel and Secretary to the Board of Trustees. All new, revised, or decommissioned University Policies or Procedures will be announced in Tech Today.
Reason for Policy
Policies and procedures that are easy to find, read, and understand will:
- help the University accomplish its mission,
- maintain accountability,
- provide faculty, staff, and students with clear, concise tools, and
- clarify how the University does business.
University-wide policies are established to administer the University in accordance with state and federal legislation, reasonable practice, and the delegation of authority by the Board of Trustees.
Related Policy Information
A proposal does not become policy until it has been reviewed and approved by the President.
All new policies and policies with substantial revisions are reviewed by the Policy Committee for consistency, readability, and format.
All policies and procedures other than University Administrative Policies and Procedures.
Office of the General Counsel and Secretary to the Board of Trustees
See University Policy 1.01
Approved by Executive Council
Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. General Policy numbers renamed from "2.1000" to "1.00 General University". Specifically, from "2.1001 Establishing and Creating University Policy and Procedures" to "1.01—Establishing and Creating University Policy and Procedures".
To reflect current titles, "Board of Control" is now "Board of Trustees".
Changed Responsible Office to Business Operations.
To reflect current University titles and practice, MTU is now Michigan Tech, a copy of the policies and procedures are now found at the vice president's office in room 314 of the Lakeshore Center, and the email address for questions is now webmaster.
Changed responsible University officer to VP, Administration and responsible office to Human Resources.
Added writing style guide and revising a policy procedure, and changed responsible office to CFO.