The following procedure must be followed by both University affiliated persons or groups and non-affiliated persons or groups to reserve outside grounds for use on the campus of Michigan Technological University as required by University policy 5.06 (unless expressly excepted by that policy). The intent of this process is to ensure fair and equitable treatment of all groups requesting grounds use.
- At least five business days prior to the event, University affiliated persons or groups and non-affiliated groups must complete the Outside Grounds / Promotional Materials Request form. The form must be completed in full, noting contact information for the persons or group, requested date(s) and time(s), proposed location, and a description of the event/use of space.
- Affiliated persons or groups (members of the University community, students, faculty, staff, registered student organizations, departments) can complete the form online, by calling 906-487-1963, or in person at the Student Activities Office in room 112 of the Memorial Union Building.
- Non-affiliated persons or groups (general public and groups not affiliated with the University) can complete the form online, by calling 906-487-2216, or in person at the Department of Public Safety and Police Services at the Widmaier House
- Within two business days of submitting the request:
- Grant approval from the Student Activities Office or the Department of Public Safety and Police Services
- Notify the applicant of denial through the Student Activities Office or the Department of Public Safety and Police Services
- Denial of a reservation request may be based upon any reason which does not illegally
or unconstitutionally discriminate against any protected class or illegally or unconstitutionally
infringe on any protected right, including but not limited to the following
- The proposed time and place will conflict with a scheduled event.
- The proposed time and place might conflict with a campus event or tradition, such as Orientation, Homecoming, Winter Carnival, or Spring Fling.
- The event poses a risk (health, safety, or property) to the campus community and the requesting group or individual is financially or otherwise unable to provide sufficient risk management or security for the event.
- The event would impede the holding of classes, the carry-forward of University business,
the arrangements for properly organized and scheduled events on campus, the reasonable
movement of vehicular or pedestrian traffic or the discharge of responsibility by
any University office or employee.
- The notification of denial shall state the reason(s).
- Upon receiving denial of the request, the persons or group may revise and resubmit their request for review to address the reasons for denial or appeal the denial as permitted below
- The decision to approve/confirm a reservation request will be based on proper and timely completion of a reservation request form, compliance with applicable university requirements and departments, and availability of space. During the review of the request, the Student Activities Office and/or the Department of Public Safety and Police Services will:
- Consult with Facilities Management to confirm that the request is in a designated campus area available for use. (No scheduled maintenance planned for requested space, no danger of damaging buried water/electrical lines, etc.
- Consult with Risk Management to confirm that the planned event does not pose an unreasonable risk to those hosting it as well as any students, staff, or visitors to campus
- Review other space requests to make sure there are no conflicting events that would impede the holding of classes, the carry-forward of University business, the arrangements for properly organized and scheduled events on campus, the reasonable movement of vehicular or pedestrian traffic or the discharge of responsibility by any University office or employee
- Consult with Dining Services if food/drinks are to be distributed.
Upon request of the Student Activities Office or the Department of Public Safety and Police Services, proof of adequate insurance for the event may be required. If deemed necessary, other campus departments will review the reservation request and may require further documentation. In no circumstance will any decision be based on the content or viewpoint of the expressive activity.
- The denial of a reservation request may be appealed to the Dean of Students (for requests by affiliated persons and groups) or the Director of Public Safety and Police Services (for requests by unaffiliated persons or groups). The appeal must be submitted in writing.
Exceptions to submitting the request five days in advance may be granted at the discretion of the Student Activities Office and/or the Department of Public Safety and Police Services as long as the request is consistent with the Outside Grounds Use Policy.
All individuals responsible for and participating in events on campus are expected to comply with state and federal laws, local ordinances, and University rules and regulations. All events on campus which include food or beverages must comply with the University Food Policy (University Policy 1.08).
Failure to comply with any of these requirements may result in immediate removal from the campus and any other appropriate action by Public Safety and Police Services and/or other University officials.
Forms and Instructions
In support of this procedure, the following forms/instructions are included:
|04/10/2017||Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. Business and Finance numbers renamed from "2.5000" to "5. Campus and Facilities". Specifically from "2.5006.1—Reserved Use of Designated University Outside Grounds" to "5.06.1—Reserved Use of Designated University Outside Grounds".|