Yoke Khin Yap
- Office: Fisher 219, Labs: Fisher B013, B009, B031, B034
- University Professor
- Professor of Physics, Director of Applied Physics Graduate Program
- Osaka University Global Alumni Fellow, MTU Faculty Fellow
- PhD, Osaka University
Professor Yap is interested in the fundamentals of synthesis, characterization, and applications of functional materials, including zero-, one-, and two- dimensional B-C-N nanostructures (carbon, boron nitride, boron carbon-nitride, carbon nitride, boron, etc); Transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs); and ZnO. In addition to basic research, his research group is dedicated in creating broader impacts to people, health, environment, and renewable energy harvesting. Professor Yap has edited multiple books, Material Research Society proceedings volumes, and journal special issues. His group has published a series of book and encyclopedia chapters, and more than 100 peer-reviewed articles.
Links of Interest
- Solid-State Physics
- Nanoscale Science and Engineering (Nanotechnology)
- Controlled synthesis of 0D, 1D, and 2D materials (Nanotubes, 2D layered materials, Nanowires, Quantum Dots, and their heterostructures, etc.).
- Exploration of new functional nanomaterials, heterojunctions, heterostructures, nano-hybrids, and nano-systems.
- Creative use of nanomaterials for advanced electronics, quantum switching, energy harvesting, environmental, chemical and biomedical applications.
- Complete Publications (Google Scholar)
- Complete Publication (Yap Laboratory-Publication Page)
- Jing-Kai Qin, Pai-Ying Liao, Mengwei Si, Shiyuan Gao, Gang Qiu, Jie Jian, Qingxiao Wang, Si-Qi Zhang, Shouyuan Huang, Adam Charnas, Yixiu Wang, Moon J Kim, Wenzhuo Wu, Xianfan Xu, Hai-Yan Wang, Li Yang, Yoke Khin Yap, Peide D Ye. “Raman Response and Transport Properties of Tellurium Atomic Chains Encapsulated in Nanotubes,” Nature Electronics (2020). News coverage. Media attention in the 99th percentile of all research outputs scored by Altmetric. Highlights in Materials Today, Nano Today, Futurerity etc.
- Shiva Bhandari, Boyi Hao, Kevin Waters, Chee Huei Lee, Juan-Carlos Idrobo, Dongyan Zhang, Ravindra Pandey, Yoke Khin Yap, “Two-Dimensional Gold Quantum Dots with Tunable Bandgaps,” ACS Nano 13, 4347 (2019). News Coverage.
- Ajay Kumar, Pin Ann Lin, Albert Xue, Boyi Hao, Yoke Khin Yap, R. Mohan Sankaran, "Formation of nanodiamonds at near-ambient conditions via microplasma dissociation of ethanol vapour" Nature Communications 4, Article number:2618 (2013). News coverage.
- Chee Huei Lee , Shengyong Qin , Madhusudan A. Savaikar , Jiesheng Wang , Boyi Hao , Dongyan Zhang , Douglas Banyai , John A. Jaszczak , Kendal W. Clark , Juan-Carlos Idrobo , An-Ping Li , and Yoke Khin Yap, "Room-Temperature Tunneling Behavior of Boron Nitride Nanotubes Functionalized with Gold Quantum Dots," Advanced Materials 25, 2544 (2013) News Coverage. Media attention in the 98th percentile of all research outputs scored by Altmetric.
- Archana Pandey, Abhishek Prasad, Jason P. Moscatello, Mark Engelhard, Chongmin Wang, Yoke Khin Yap, "Very Stable Electron Field Emission from Strontium Titanate Coated Carbon Nanotube Matrices with Low Emission Thresholds," ACS Nano 7, 117 (2013).
- Archana Pandey, Abhishek Prasad, Jason Moscatello, Yoke Khin Yap, "Stable Electron Field Emission from PMMA-CNT Matrices," ACS Nano 4, 6760 (2010).
- J. Wang, V. Kayastha, Y. K. Yap, Z. Fan, J. G. Lu, Z. Pan, I. Ivanov, A. A. Puretzky, D. B. Geohegan, “Low temperature growth of boron nitride nanotubes on substrates,” Nano Letters 5, 2528 (2005). Highlights in Materials Today.
- (Review) Chee Huei Lee, Bishnu Tiwari, Dongyan Zhang, Yoke Khin Yap, “Water purification: oil–water separation by nanotechnology and environmental concerns,” Environmental Science: Nano 4, 514-525 (2017). 2017 Most Downloaded Article of the journal.
- (Review) Mingxiao Ye, Dongyan Zhang, Yoke Khin Yap, “Recent Advances in Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices Based on Two-Dimensional Transition Metal Dichalcogenides,” Electronics 6, 43 (2017).
- (Review) Mingxiao Ye, Dustin Winslow , Dongyan Zhang , Ravindra Pandey and Yoke Khin Yap, “Recent Advancement on the Optical Properties of Two-Dimensional Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) Thin Films,” Photonics2, 288-307 (2015).
- Yoke Khin Yap and Dongyan Zhang "Chemical Vapor Deposition," in Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, B. Bhushan (ed.) Continuously updated edition, pp 1-7 (Springer 2016, ISBN: 978-94-007-6178-0).
- Yoke Khin Yap and Dongyan Zhang "Physical Vapor Deposition," in Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, B. Bhushan (ed.) Continuously updated edition, pp 1-8 (Springer 2016, ISBN: 978-94-007-6178-0). Read More
- (Review) S. Bhandari, B. Tiwari, N. Yapici, D. Zhang, Y. K. Yap, "Introduction to Boron Nitride Nanotubes: Synthesis, Properties, Functionalization, and Cutting," Chapter 1 in Boron Nitride Nanotubes in Nanomedicine, Ed G. Ciofani and V. Mattoli (Elsevier, 2016, ISBN: 978-0-323-38945-7) Read More
- (Review) B. Hao, C. H. Lee, J. Wang, A. Asthana, D. Winslow, D. Zhang, and Y. K. Yap, “Controlled Synthesis of Functional Boron Nitride Nanostructures for Applications,” Chapter 20 in Nanotubes and Nanosheets: Functionalization and Applications of Boron Nitride and Other Nanomaterials, (CRC Press) Ed. Ying (Ian) Chen, pp 551-572 (2015). Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), "Carbon Nanotubes, Graphene and Related Nanostructures," Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1407 (Cambridge University Press, July 2012, ISBN: 978-1-60511-384-5) Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), "Nanotubes and Related Nanostructures-2009," Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1204 (Cambridge University Press, 2010, ISBN: 978-1-60511-177-3) Read More
- (Review) Jiesheng Wang, Chee Huei Lee and Yoke Khin Yap, “Recent advancements in boron nitride nanotubes," Nanoscale 2, 2028 (2010).
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), "B-C-N Nanotubes and Related Nanostructures," Lecture Notes in Nanoscale Science and Technology (Springer) Vol. 6 (2009) Approx. 310 pages, 159 illustrations, 32 in color, Hardcover. Read More
- Abhishek Prasad, Samuel Mensah, Zheng Wei Pan, and Yoke Khin Yap, “Alternative Nanostructured Sensors: Nanowires, Nanobelts, and Novel Nanostructures,” in Chapter 4 of Sensors Based on Nanostructured Materials, Francisco J. Arregui (Ed.), Springer, pp. 59-78 (2009). Read More
- Yoke Khin Yap (Editor), “Nanotubes and Related Nanostructures,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1057 (Cambridge University Press 2008). Read More