Residence Education and Housing Services

Living Guide — Room Information

mohawk room

Living with Roommates

You may feel uneasy about speaking with your roommate for the first time. It is suggested that you reach out to your roommate prior to your arrival to introduce yourself. Here are some things that may help you to guide the conversation:

  • Discuss your major
  • Discuss hobbies, interests, and pet peeves
  • Discuss items that either you or your roommate are bringing to conserve space (e.g. refrigerators, microwaves, televisions, Keurigs, etc.)

All students who live on campus are required to complete a roommate agreement. The roommate agreement helps guide a conversation about preferences and behaviors that may impact their relationship. The goal of the roommate agreement is to establish solid communication and an understanding of expectations. This document provides an opportunity for roommates to voice preferences and concerns. 

If a conflict with your roommate does arise: 

  1. Have a one on one conversation with your roommate about your concerns.
  2. If that does not work, contact your resident assistant to assist in mediating.
  3. If this does not work, your RA will contact your Residence Education Coordinator for further assistance.

Room Keys

Residents are expected to secure their keys at all times. Immediately report lost keys to the residence hall reception desk and obtain a temporary key. Residents are advised to lock their room whenever they leave to safeguard themselves and personal belongings as well as all university equipment.

Residents who are locked out and need to use a temporary key must return the key immediately after unlocking their room door and must show that they have possession of their key. The first two weeks of the semester will be considered a grace period for all residents. During this time, no resident will be charged for temporary keys or key-ins done by resident assistants. After the grace period, temporary spare keys are available at the reception desk for a $1 fee while the reception desk is open. This can be paid in cash, or billed to the student account. If a resident is locked out after the reception desk has closed, the resident may call Duty Phone at 906-487-3889 and a resident assistant will unlock the resident’s room door at a cost of $5, which will be billed to the student account. This fee applies to all residents regardless of house. All collected fees will be donated to HuskyFAN.

Residents of Hillside Place Apartments may obtain a temporary tap card from the McNair reception desk. 

There is a $55-$110 charge for lost keys. This fee covers the cost of the core change and replacement keys. In the event that the original key is found, a $5 refund will be issued. Report lost keys for your building to your reception desk.

For a breakdown of the costs click here.

Furnishings and Decor

The average room measures about 12 feet x 15 feet. A typical double room includes loftable beds (beds can be raised or lowered to create alternate furniture layouts to better utilize floor space), chest of drawers, two desks, two study chairs, waste basket, and carpeting. Triple and quad rooms are furnished accordingly. Each room is provided with a dry erase board and cork strip on the outside of their door in order for residents to attach door tags and leave messages.

  • Provided furnishings may not be removed from the room. Storing or placing furniture in the hallway or in an off-campus location is prohibited.
  • Residents are responsible for the replacement cost of missing or damaged furniture.
  • Public area furnishings moved to resident rooms will be returned, and the residents responsible will be charged with violating University policy.
  • The misuse of furnishings will result in a maintenance service charge.
  • The staff maintains the right to remove anything on a dry erase board or cork strip if it violates University policies, local, state, or federal laws.
  • No furnishings may block the window. In case of a fire the window is used as a secondary exit point.

Bed linens are not provided, so residents are encouraged to purchase linens prior to arrival. The standard mattress size is 36 inches x 80 inches. Extra-long twin sheets fit best. (Residents may purchase linens online at Residents are responsible for laundering their own linens.


It is the resident’s responsibility to keep their rooms clean for health and sanitation reasons. Michigan Tech does not provide general room cleaning. Rooms found to be unclean and thought to cause a health or sanitation concern will be charged a service fee for necessary cleaning.

  • Nothing may be displayed or attached to room window(s), on hallway walls, on lounge windows, on door frames, or on the room door surface inside or outside. Decorations may be placed on the tack strip in the hallway. 
  • Room door viewers are installed for security reasons and may not be removed, covered, or altered in any way.
  • It is not permitted to string any type of wiring or cables from room-to-room.
  • The removal of screens or having any type of outside fixture on or outside your window is prohibited. Air conditioners and satellite dishes are not permitted.
  • Room entrance floor mats are not permitted in hallway.

Prohibited Alterations

It is imperative that residence halls and student rooms are maintained in their original condition and free from damage caused by alterations. Students may express themselves with decorations by using adhesives that are not damaging to surfaces. Nails, tacks, and tape of any kind that can be particularly damaging to finished surfaces should not be used. Duct tape is prohibited on walls and furniture in student rooms. Masking tape or white poster putty is permitted for hanging posters and other decorations. We recommend 3M Poster Strips with Command Adhesive. Painting walls or murals is not permitted, nor is altering the existing color pattern in the room or on the door and door trim. Paint and supplies are not available to residents for end-of-the-year “touch-ups.” Any damages caused by alterations will be assessed after the resident checks out with their resident assistant.

Room Consolidation/Reduced Occupancy

From time to time, students living in and paying for a double, triple, or quad room will find themselves without a roommate. If a space becomes open in a resident’s room, Residence Education and Housing Services will notify the resident(s) of the right to choose to:

  • Keep the reduced occupancy status and be billed for a single or the additional fee for the reduced occupancy.
  • Find a roommate or move in with someone else. If a resident wants a roommate, Residence Education and Housing Services will provide a list of students looking for a roommate. It is the resident’s responsibility to initiate and implement this process.
  • Stay in the room at current occupancy with no extra fees, with the condition that Residence Education and Housing Services reserves the right to move another resident into the empty space in the room at any time throughout the semester or academic year without prior notification. If this option is selected, the student must leave half of the room vacant in anticipation of a new roommate. 

If a space becomes open in a resident’s room during the first and/or last two weeks of each semester (the room freeze period), this space will be held open by Residence Education and Housing Services in order to place incoming students. If this space is not used for a new student and is in a non-converted state at the end of the room freeze period, the resident will be notified about the opportunity for a consolidation process.