Michigan Tech alumni Rollin Jones ‘58 and Jim Lindstrom ‘69 spent the majority of their civil engineering careers working for Robert Thompson of the Thompson-McCully Company. Together, they managed and were instrumental in acquiring many Michigan based asphalt paving companies to grow the company’s portfolio. Mr. Thompson’s unique management style of sharing financial knowledge with key employees was a rarity for its time and proved to create a performance-based learning environment. After Thompson-McCully sold its holdings to CRH/Oldcastle Materials in 1999, Robert (Bob) and Ellen Thompson formed the Thompson Foundation largely supporting education. As Vice Presidents for Thompson-McCully, Rollin and Jim demonstrated superior leadership and a “nose to the grindstone” work ethic which they attribute to their educational experience at Michigan Tech. Through the years, Rollin and Jim made many trips to Houghton in search of future employees that exhibit those same qualities. Jim recalls, “As the company grew, we would go to Michigan Tech to recruit and hire for needed positions”. Bob and Ellen Thompson have great appreciation for Tech graduates and their contributions to the company’s success. They have established the Working Family Scholarship in memory of Rollin, who sadly left us in 2018, and in honor of Jim who represents the living legacy of this Michigan Tech scholarship.
Students who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Michigan resident
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC) between 0 - 12,000
- At least one working parent
- Not receiving Michigan Tech’s Tuition Reduction Incentive Program (TRIP), the State of Michigan's Tuition Incentive Program (TIP), the Kalamazoo Promise, or other full tuition scholarships.
- Students must also be either:
- an incoming first-year student at Michigan Tech;
- a first-year student who has completed their first semester at Michigan Tech; or
- a transfer student who has completed 4 semesters or 60 credits at another institution before their enrollment begins at Michigan Tech.
- $11,000 per year: ($5,500 Working Families Scholarship & $5,500 Create Your Success Scholarship)
- Awards are renewable; number of semesters vary based on program.
- Complete the Rollin A. Jones and James E. Lindstrom Working Families Scholarship Application by March 1.
- Submit an essay addressing the following topic: "What are you passionate about and how will this scholarship help you achieve your goals at Michigan Tech?"
- Provide one (1) letter of recommendation
Application must be submitted by March 1 at 11:59PM.
Scholarship recipients must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 at the end of each semester of study, complete a thank you letter to the Thompson Foundation each year, and complete & report a minimum of 20 community service hours per academic year (fall/spring semesters). Continuous, regular full-time undergraduate enrollment (12 credits or more) and acceptable social behavior must also be maintained.
Learn more about the Thompson Foundation that funds this generous scholarship, and how the Working Families Scholarship Program is designed to promote and support student success.