5.1 Academic Year Compensation
5.1.1 Faculty Compensation Policy
Neither teaching nor research should be the single preoccupation of a faculty member, one exclusive of the other. To encourage the professional development of faculty members in both teaching and research at Michigan Technological University, the Board of Trustees adopted the following policy:
Members of Academic Departments
- Research work by academic faculty is expected. Persons working on research programs for which Michigan Technological University is the contractor or grantee shall do such research as part of their regular load. Salary during this period will be divided between funds for teaching and administration and funds from the contract or grant (for research) as appropriate.
- Persons working during an off semester under the auspices of a sponsored agreement may be paid one week's salary for each week of research effort during the off-semester. Persons working for periods less than one week of full-time effort will be paid on a pro-rata basis. Compensation in excess of the off-semester salary must be approved in writing pursuant to Section 3.
- Under exceptional circumstances, additional compensation may be received for research work if approved in writing, in advance, by the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs or appropriate Vice President.
Members of Research Agencies
- Professionally qualified full-time employees of the research agencies may engage in academic activities (teaching, directing graduate theses, etc.) in the academic departments with the approval of the head of the specific research agency. Staff members shall carry on such activities as part of their regular load. Under these conditions, the salary of the staff member will be unchanged, and it will be divided between research funds and teaching funds in the same ratio as effort is divided between the two activities.
- Under exceptional circumstances professionally qualified full-time employees of research agencies may receive extra compensation for teaching in an academic department. Such exceptions result if the regular duties in the research agency cannot be reduced or if the teaching is of short duration (e.g., less than a semester) and cannot be postponed. Such activity is limited to the teaching of one course. Arrangements for such activity require the advance written approval of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and must be filed with the Director of Human Resources at least one week before the work is to begin.
02/16/2017 - Annual Review: To reflect current language changed "Under exceptional circumstances, extra compensation may be received for research work..." to "Under exceptional circumstances, additional compensation may be received for research work..."
12/08/2016 - Annual Review: No changes made to content.
06/04/2015 - To reflect current University titles, "Board of Control" is now "Board of Trustees".
04/15/2015 - Annual Review: To reflect current practice, the email address for questions is now firstname.lastname@example.org. No changes made to content.
03/26/2014 - Annual Review: Updated Michigan Tech and Handbook banners, no changes made to content.
09/26/2012 - To reflect current practice, replaced the links and references to Board of Control 15.3 and to Appendix K with links to University policies 2.6006 Additional Compensation and 2.6010 Sponsored Funding Bonus Requests.
07/19/2011 - Annual Review: To reflect current University titles and practice, the email address for questions is now hbwebmaster.
3/29/2011 - Revised to reflect updated Board of Control Bylaws and Policies.