- (906) 487-3232
- Walker 341
Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Humanities
Adjunct Professor, Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology
- PhD, University at Albany, State University of New York
Dr. L. Syd M. Johnson's work in neuroethics and bioethics focuses on the ethical implications of developments in neuroscience, particularly those related to disorders of consciousness and traumatic brain injury. She is especially interested in issues of quality of life related to "halfway technologies" that can result in partial recovery, but leave patients profoundly disabled. Her research focuses on whether these so-called improvements enhance quality of life for persons with disorders of consciousness, how we should conceptualize quality of life in persons who lack the capacity to communicate or evaluate their own quality of life, and whether our conception of medical progress is suitable for thinking about disorders of consciousness. Her second area of research is on sport-related concussion, particularly in youth athletes, and the ethical implications of risky sports participation for children. A third area of scholarly interest arises from Dr. Johnson's work as a film critic, and considers the way that philosophically interesting questions are represented in pop culture, as well as the pedagogical potential of cinematic thought experiments. Dr. Johnson's work has been published in Neuroethics, American Journal of Bioethics, AJOB Neuroscience, Journal of Medical Ethics, and the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "Abortion: Ethical Perspectives" in Encyclopedia of Bioethics. Alja Kooistra, (Gale, New York NY),. (Submitted)
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "Return to play guidelines cannot solve the football-related concussion problem.", Journal of School Health. 82 (4), 180-185, (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2012). (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Published)
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "The Ethically Dubious Practice of Thwarting the Redemption of the Condemned", American Journal of Bioethics. 11 (10), 9-10, (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2011). (not peer-reviewed/refereed) (Published)
- Gilbert, F., Johnson, L. Syd M., "The Impact of American Tackle Football-Related Concussion in Youth Athletes", AJOB Neuroscience. 2 (4), 48-59, (October (4th Quarter/Autumn) 2011). (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Published)
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "Should youth hockey be safer?", Cafe Scientifique, Novel Tech Ethics, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Oral. (November 21, 2011).
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "The case for innovation in vaccine production.", Canadian Bioethics Society Conference, Canadian Bioethics Society, St John, NB, Oral. (June 2011).
- Johnson, L. Syd M., "Mapping a way around the authenticity detour: cognitive enhancement, cognitive mapping, and extended cognition.", Philosophy Colloquium, Dalhousie University Philosophy Dept, Halifax, NS, Oral. (April 2011).