—Walter Benjamin “On the Concept of History”
Assistant Professor of Digital Media, Humanities
- PhD, University of California Irvine
Stefka Hristova is an Assistant Professor of Digital Media at Michigan Technological University. She holds a PhD in Visual Studies from the University of California Irvine. Her research examines the digital visual cultures of war and displacement.
Stefka teaches in the Communication, Culture, & Media Undergraduate Program and the Rhetoric, Theory, and Culture Graduate Program.
Links of Interest
- Visual Studies
- Digital Media Studies
- Eastern European Visual Studies
- Postcolonial Studies
- Critical Theory
- "Recognizing Friend and Foe: Biometrics, Veridiction, and the Iraq War" Surveillance and Society. Vol 12, N4 (December 2014). Read More
- “Visual Memes as Neutralizers of Political Dissent” TripleC Communication, Capitalism & Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society. Special Issue on Critical Visual Theory. Vol 12. N. 1 (2014): 265-276. Read More
- “’Doing a Lynndie’: Iconography of a Gesture” Visual Anthropology Journal 2013 26.5 (2013): 430-443. Read More
- “Occupy Wall Street meets Occupy Iraq: On Remembering and Forgetting in a Digital Age” Radical History Review. Fall 3013. 2013(117): 83-97. Read More
- “Digital Animalized Camouflage: A Zone of Biopolitical Indistinction” Interstitial: A Journal of Modern Culture and Events July 2013 Read More
- “Life is Waiting:” Statehood, Temporality, and Mobility at The Terminal” Transnational Subjects Journal Vol 2. N. 1 (2012). Read More
- "Abu Ghraib: A Ghostly Story” in Gender, Power, and Military Occupations: Asia Pacific and the Middle East since 1945. Eds. Christine de Matos and Rowena Ward. Routledge (March 2012). Read More
- Slack, Jennifer D. and Hristova, Stefka. “Culture In-Colour.” Cultural Studies, July 2016. Read More
- Hristova, Stefka, “Securing the State: Exploring the Role of Anthropometrics and Biometrics in the 1930s and the 2000s Occupations of Iraq," American Studies Association 2012, San Juan Puerto Rico, Oral
- Hristova, Stefka, "Pixelated Wars: Invisibility, Digitalization, and Militarization in American Culture", American Studies Association 2011, Baltimore MD, Oral.