- (906) 487-2612
- 326 Walker
Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Humanities
- PhD (Philosophy) University of Guelph
- MA, BA (Philosophy) University of Toronto
Dr. Alexandra Morrison’s research interests include 20th Century Continental Philosophy (especially the phenomenological and existential traditions), Feminist Philosophy and the Philosophy of Technology. Her doctoral dissertation dealt with questions of selfhood, alterity and community in Martin Heidegger’s Being and Time. Since finishing her doctorate Morrison’s interest in the relationship between self, community and language has led her to feminist philosophy as well as the intersection of philosophy, art and literature.
- “The Voice of Ambiguity: Beauvoir’s Phenomenological and Literary Echoes” with Laura Zebuhr. Hypatia: Journal of Feminist Philosophy, Vol 30, no. 2 (418- 433, Spring, 2015)
- Butler’s Ethics Under Pressure: Feminism and Justice” (in preparation)
- “The Ruination of the Artwork” in The Proceedings of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Heidegger Circle 2013, Southern Connecticut State University
- "Heidegger and the Finitude of the Work of Art," Studia Philosophiae Christianae, vol. 49 (2013), issue 4, pp. 155-179.
- “Nicholson: Through Self-Loathing to Philosophy,” Philosophical Apprenticeships: Contemporary Continental Philosophy in Canada, eds. Lampert and Robinson. University of Ottawa Press, 82-89, 2009
- “Threatened Chances in Lispector and Heidegger,” American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) University of Utrecht, the Netherlands, July 6-9 2017.
- “Counter-Hegemony, Agonism and Feminist Politics,” 55th Annual Meeting of the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy (SPEP) October 20-22, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2016.
- “Agonistics: Mouffe and Butler on Ethics and Politics,” Canadian Society for Continental Philosophy (CSCP) September 29 - October 1st, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2016.
- “Rethinking Feminist Politics with Butler and Mouffe,” Exploring Collaborative Contestations, Conference of Hypatia Journal of Feminist Philosophy and the American Philosophical Association Committee on the Status of Women, Villanova University, May 28- 31, 2015.
- "Ashes to Ashes: Engaging with the Art of Tatu Vuorio," Finlandia University, Finlandia University Gallery, Art Exhibition Opening: Alchemy, September 25, 2014.
- “I have had my Vision: Mood, Perception and Transformative Agency in Woolf and Beauvoir,” The Organization for the Study of Communication, Language and Gender, October 2013
- “The Ruination of the Artwork: Materiality, Repetition, Difference,” 47th Annual Meeting of the Heidegger Circle, May 2013
- “Echo, Existence and Universality in Beauvoir’s Feminism,” American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) April 2013
- “Equality, Happiness and the Good: The Legacy of J. S. Mill,” Guest lecture in the CORE Curriculum, University of Saint Francis, February 2013
- “The Voice of Ambiguity: Beauvoir’s Phenomenological and Literary Echoes” 19th International Conference of the Simone de Beauvoir Society, June 2011
- 20th Century Continental Philosophy
- Feminist Philosophy
- Philosophy and Literature
- Feminist Philosophy
- Philosophy of Technology
- Ethical Theory and Moral Problems
- Introduction to Philosophy (History of Philosophy)
- Engineering Ethics
- Logic and Critical Thinking