Ramon A. Fonkoué
Assistant Professor of French and Cultural Studies, Humanities
- PhD, University of Oregon
Dr. Ramon A. Fonkoué's scholarship and teaching focus is on French Language, Francophone, and African Studies in general with an emphasis on cultures and cultural contacts. His research analyzes the contribution of Caribbean and African writers and critics to cultural studies and literary theory. His interests include the relationship between subjectivity, nation building and the canon, the environmental novel, postcolonial and film theories, artistic expressions of multiethnic France, and the French novel of WW II. His current works explore the status of the subject; questions of agency in the postcolonial and the postmodern spheres; and discourses on humanism.
He has a book in progress that explores agency and ethics in the contemporary French Caribbean novel.
He is also designing a new course on African cinema that will discuss African film theory, examine the question of the representation of Africa through audio-visual media, and explore current issues in the continent.
- Fonkoue, R. A., Cheng, J. S. C. S., "“Primitivist Empathy”. Translation of Carlo Severi's 'L'empathie primitiviste '." Art in Translation (online). Claudia Heide, (Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, March 2012), 4 (1). (Accepted)
- Fonkoue, R. A., "L’écriture antillaise et le procès de l’histoire: Pour une nouvelle grammaire de l’héroïsme", Nouvelles Etudes Francophones. (April (2nd Quarter/Spring) 2012). (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Accepted)
- Fonkoue, R. A., "Rupture esthétique et dissidence: les enjeux de l’historiographie littéraire aux Antilles", The French Review. Vol. 86 (3, 2012), (March 2012). (peer-reviewed/refereed) (Accepted)
- Fonkoue, R. A., "From opacity to relation: Edouard Glissant’s discourse on a “new humanism", Callaloo. (not peer-reviewed/refereed) (Submitted)
- Fonkoue, Ramon A., "L’écriture antillaise et le procès de l’histoire: Pour une nouvelle grammaire de l’héroïsme", International Conference of the International Council on Francophone Studies, International Council on Francophones Studies, Aix-en-Provence, France, Oral. (May 29, 2011 - June 5, 2011).
- Fonkoue, Ramon A., "Rupture esthétique et dissidence: les enjeux de l’historiographie littéraire aux Antilles", 37th Annual African Literature Association Conference, African Literature Association, Athens, Ohio, Oral. (April 13, 2011 - April 17, 2011).