Evelyn Vidal Johnson
Senior Lecturer, Humanities
Coordinator of English Secondary Education
- MS, Michigan Technological University
Evie Johnson serves students at Michigan Tech in various ways. She is the
undergraduate advisor for all majors housed in Humanities, she coordinates the
English Education Program, and teaches a range of courses specifically designed to
meet the needs of teacher candidates. She received her MS in Rhetoric and Technical
Communication in 2003, and has a BA from Miami University in English Education.
In addition to her current teaching at MTU, she has taught middle school and high
school. She was an administrative assistant with the Ohio Writing Project where she
helped to coordinate programs for teachers and students.
Beyond her work at MTU, she dedicates herself to community literacy,
particularly as President of the Copper Country Reading Council and Michigan’s
Coordinator for River of Words. As teacher, advisor, and literacy activist she works
to integrate the arts and literature, build understanding and empathy, and create the
best conditions for learning to occur.
In her free time, she enjoys drawing, visiting her children and grandchildren,
strolling Lake Superior beaches, working in her garden, and exploring the U.P.
- Copper Country Reading Council http://coppercountryreadingcouncil.wikispaces.com/
- River of Words http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/center-for-environmental-literacy/river-of-words
- 826 Valencia http://826valencia.org/
- IRIN http://www.irinnews.org/
- Teaching Tolerance http://www.tolerance.org/
- Zinn Education Project http://zinnedproject.org/
- American Indians in Children’s Literature http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/