Planting Guides and Local Sources
Many plants originally introduced for use in ornamental landscapes have since become invasive. To address these challenges, the Northwest Michigan Invasive Species Network recommends this planting guide. Partners developed the list of recommended and prohibited plants based on scientific evidence, collective experience managing natural areas across the region, and with input from the city of Ann Arbor's invasive plant list and the Michigan Natural Features Inventory.
Native plant lists
- Prairie Moon Nursery native plant cultural guide
Some local and regional nurseries sources for native plants and seeds are listed below
Remember to ask for natives— increased demand will lead to increased supply.
- Dennis Greenhouse 906-296-0920 – Lake Linden
- Flowers by Sleeman 906-482-4023 – Houghton
- Conservation Districts: Houghton Keweenaw (https://www.hkconserve.com); Iron Baraga (https://ironbaragacd.org); Marquette (http://www.marquettecd.com)
- Borealis Seed Company 906-226-8507 – Marquette
- EverGreen Nursery, Inc. 906-387-4350 – Skandia (between Marquette and Munising); https://www.evergreennurserymi.net
- Prairie Moon Nursery 866-417-8156 –Wisconsin; https://www.prairiemoon.com
- Prairie Nursery 800-476-9453 –Wisconsin; https://www.prairienursery.com
Local Native Plant/Garden Groups