Living Guide—Explosives, Chemicals, and Flammables

For the safety of all residents, the following items are not permitted in the residence halls or immediate living vicinity:

  • Harmful chemicals
  • Flammable liquids/lighter fluid
  • Firecrackers
  • Lithium Polymer Batteries
  • Explosives
  • Incense
  • Candles
  • Ozone machines
  • Oil lamps
  • Propane or oil for cooking stoves
  • Other open-flame objects
  • Electric Heaters
  • Air Conditioners
  • Halogen Lights
  • Cooking appliances with exposed heating elements (toaster, toaster oven, coffee pot with a hot plate to keep coffee warm, candle warmers with a hot plate, etc.)
  • Cooking appliances that produce grease or require oil such as deep fryers or George Foreman Grills.
  • Any motorized personal vehicles including, but not limited to gas/electric powered bicycles, motorized scooters, and hoverboards.
  • Due to fumes and hazardous waste concerns, 3D printers using resin are prohibited. 3D printers using filament are permitted in on-campus housing facilities.

Students are permitted to use Keurig-style coffee makers, microwaves, and fridges in their rooms. All other cooking appliances (air fryers, panini makers, rice cookers, etc.) must be used in the kitchenette where proper fire equipment is located.

Students who bring harmful chemicals, explosives and flammables into the residence halls will be held responsible by the Office of Academic and Community Conduct and may be subject to sanctioning or restitution for damage caused by these items. If there is a spill of a hazardous substance, evacuate the room in which it was spilled. If the substance is unknown, evacuate. Dial 911 and describe the substance and its location.