Living Guide —Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy

Michigan state law mandates that you must be 21 years of age or older to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Residents under the age of 21, therefore, may not possess or consume alcohol whether on or off campus while in the state. 

Residents of houses not classified as alcohol-free have the option to apply for an alcohol permit. With this permit, the residents of a particular room who are of legal drinking age are allowed to possess and consume alcoholic beverages in their own room. Each resident of legal drinking age must apply for an alcohol permit if they wish to consume alcohol in their room. The following expectations involving alcohol must be met:

  • Residents must keep their door closed while consuming alcohol.
  • The alcohol permit must be posted clearly inside the room and must be visible when looking in from the hallway.
  • Students with a valid alcohol permit can have no more than two of the following in any combination:
    • six 12 ounce cans or bottles of beer/cider/seltzer (72 ounces)
    • 750 mL bottle of wine
    • 750 mL bottle of liquor
    • Any alcohol container in the room will be considered full.
  • When consuming alcohol, no guests under 21 may be present in the room.

Residents who are 21, but have roommates who are under 21 may obtain a permit. However, no alcohol may be provided to or consumed by anyone under 21 in the residence halls. Residents who are 21 and have an alcohol permit may have guests over 21 consume alcohol in their room. It is expected that all students abide by quiet and courtesy hours. 

Alcohol-free living areas, which prohibit the consumption or possession of alcohol, alcohol containers, or alcohol paraphernalia by anyone, regardless of age, are provided in designated areas of the residence halls. Room assignments in this area are given to residents who do not use alcohol in their room at any time. The use and/or possession of alcohol and/or alcohol-related items are not permitted by the residents or their guests in these areas. Please note that all floors in Hillside Place are eligible for an alcohol permit.

In order to apply for an alcohol permit to store and consume alcohol in your room, you must complete the Alcohol Permit Request form on Roompact. Your Residence Education Coordinator will review your submission and confirm you are 21 or older. They will place your permit in your mailbox within three business days.

Alcohol permits are valid for the entire academic year in which they were issued. If you change rooms, you will need to obtain a new permit. While you may obtain alcohol permits to consume alcohol, intoxication is not permitted at any time. Occupants must at all times follow Board of Trustees Policy 12.4; Alcoholic Beverages. Violations will result in the loss of your alcohol permit and referral to the Office of Academic and Community Conduct.

StepUP Safer Drinking Tips for the Michigan Tech Community:

  • Share your plan with a friend 
  • Pay attention to how much you’re drinking
  • Alternate alcoholic with non-alcoholic drinks
  • Know your limit
  • Be mindful with drinking games
  • Alcohol and sex don’t always mix (check with Title IX to learn more about consent) 
  • Pick a drink and stick with it - beer and liquor don’t mix
  • Never mix alcohol with any other drugs (talk to your doctor about prescription meds)
  • Appoint a designated driver - don’t drink and drive

StepUP to make legal, healthy, safe and appropriate choices regarding alcohol.

Good Samaritan Provision

SAMHSA's National Helpline

The following are alcohol-free communities:

Wadsworth Hall:

  • Asgard
  • Olympus
  • The Laboratory
  • Atlantis
  • Tombstone
  • 4-D
  • Hyrule I
  • Hyrule II
  • Armada
  • Citadel
  • Raptor
  • Shangri-La
  • Treehouse (FRES)

McNair Hall:

  • Toll House II
  • Toll House I
  • Summit
  • Women in Engineering
  • West End Girls
  • Das Lowen Haus
  • The Power House
  • Sharkpack
  • Hundred Acre Woods
  • Strange Crew
  • Sparta
  • Summoner’s Rift

Douglass Houghton Hall:

  • Thermopylae I
  • Thermopylae II
  • Midnight Express
  • Ground Zero
  • Middle Earth
  • The Attic
  • Jotunheim

The dorm at the Ford Center in Alberta, MI is alcohol-free.

Tobacco Free, Smoke Free, and Vapor Free

Michigan Tech is committed to a healthy living and working environment for all residents and staff. As of January 12, 2015, the Michigan Technological University campus is tobacco free, smoke free, and vapor free. Smoking, smoke-free tobacco, and vapor use are prohibited on all Michigan Tech-owned or leased properties, including the residence halls. Violations of this policy may result in a fine of $500 and/or referral to the Office of Academic and Community Conduct.  More information is available online.

There is an on-going blanket exception to Board of Trustees Policy 12.2 (1) allowing for the use of tobacco (Nicotiana rustica) in spiritual and religious ceremonies. To ensure that ceremonies held indoors do not inadvertently activate fire alarms or sprinkler systems, event organizers must email Environmental Health and Safety at

Controlled Substances and Illicit Drug Policy

Michigan Technological University fully complies with all local, state and federal laws. The unlawful manufacture, possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs or controlled substances on University property or as part of University activities is strictly prohibited. For more information, please see the Abuse of Alcohol and Other Drugs by Students and Student Organizations Policy.