Each house in the residence halls has a house government that helps engage the residents with the rest of their residence hall and the residential campus. This allows residents to have ownership over their community. They plan events, solve community concerns, and work to make sure the house feels like home for every student who lives there. Each house government has a few common positions and positions that the residents decide would fit their community. The common positions that houses have are:
- Attends weekly hall council meetings (WHSA, DHHC, or MHA) on Monday evenings.
- Informs residents of hall council information and sends out weekly hall council minutes.
- Participates in hall council functions and serves on a hall council committee.
- Meets regularly with the RA of the house to communicate and plan programs and activities.
- Oversees any funds given to the house from the hall councils.
- Vice President
- Supports the House President in their responsibilities and duties.
- Attends weekly hall council meetings if the President is unable to attend.
- Assists the RA in the house with program planning and implementation.
- Works on special projects for the house.
- Food Representative
- Attends food representative meetings with the general manager of Dining Services once per month.
- Takes constructive food suggestions to the food representative meetings.
- May coordinate the posting of the weekly menu on house bulletin boards.
- Sustainability Representative
- Attends monthly sustainability representative meetings.
- Promotes and encourages proper recycling.
- Shares sustainability tips and recommendations with the house
- Promotes campus and community sustainability events
- Social Chair
- Organizes house social functions either with the RA or by themselves.
- Sets up weekly house dinners and door knocks to invite everyone.
- Athletic/Broomball Chair
- Coordinates athletic events for the house including participation in IM sports and/or broomball.
- Coordinates the use and maintenance of house athletic equipment.
- Forwards any IM-related or athletics news to the house (Ex: upcoming home hockey games).
Each house president attends weekly meetings of the hall council for their respective residence hall; Wadsworth Hall Student Association (WHSA), McNair Hall Association (MHA), Douglass Houghton Hall Council (DHHC). These meetings are hosted and coordinated by an elected executive board. The residential organizations are both governing bodies and programming boards. House presidents have the opportunity to bring ideas or concerns that they have to elected representatives of the residence hall at these meetings, along with recommending changes to different policies from Residence Education and Housing Services. They also assist the executive board with planning events to engage the hall community. A budget is available from student fees that may be used as the organization sees fit to serve their community.
The president of the executive board for each Hall Council attends weekly meetings for the Inter-Residence Housing Council (IRHC), which has its own electoral board. The IRHC executive board communicates with Residence Education and Housing Services directly to address student concerns, discuss ideas that students have, and suggest policies that students would like to see.