Residence Education and Housing Services

Living Guide —Alcohol Policy

Students playing basketball in their dorm room

Michigan state law mandates that you must be 21 years of age or older to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. In order to apply for an alcohol permit to store and consume alcohol in your room, you must visit the Residence Education and  Housing Services Office in 153W Wadsworth Hall. You will need to bring your license or state ID to confirm your date of birth and your Husky Card. Alcohol permits are valid for the entire academic year in which they were issued. If a student changes rooms, they will need to obtain a new permit. While students may obtain alcohol permits to consume alcohol, intoxication is not permitted at any time. Occupants must at all times follow Board of Trustees Policy 12.4; Alcoholic Beverages.

Residents of houses not classified as alcohol-free have the option to apply for an alcohol permit. With this permit, the residents of a particular room who are of legal drinking age are allowed to possess and consume alcoholic beverages in their own room. Each resident of legal drinking age must apply for an alcohol permit if they wish to consume alcohol in their room. The following expectations involving alcohol must be met:

  • Residents must keep their door closed while consuming alcohol.
  • The alcohol permit must be posted clearly inside the room and must be visible when looking in from the hallway.
  • Alcoholic beverage containers may not have the capacity of more than one gallon.

Alcohol-free living areas, which prohibit the consumption or possession of alcohol by anyone regardless of age, are provided in designated areas of the residence halls. Room assignments in this area are given to residents who do not use alcohol in their room at any time. The use and/or possession of alcohol and/or alcohol-related items are not permitted by the residents or their guests in these areas. Please note that all floors in Hillside Place are eligible for an alcohol permit.

The following are alcohol-free communities:

Wadsworth Hall:
  • Asgard
  • Olympus
  • The Laboratory
  • Atlantis
  • Tombstone
  • 4-D
  • Hyrule I
  • Hyrule II
  • Armada
  • Citadel
  • Raptor
  • Shangri-La
  • Treehouse (FRES)
McNair Hall:
  • Toll House II
  • Toll House I
  • Summit
  • Women in Engineering
  • West End Girls
  • Das Lowen Haus
  • The Power House
  • Sharkpack
  • Hundred Acre Woods
  • Strange Crew
  • Sparta
  • Tucker Inn
Douglass Houghton Hall:
  • Thermopylae II
  • Midnight Express
  • Ground Zero
  • Middle Earth
  • The Attic

Tobacco Free, Smoke Free, and Vapor Free

Michigan Tech is committed to a healthy living and working environment for all residents and staff. As of January 12, 2015, the Michigan Technological University campus is tobacco free, smoke free, and vapor free. Smoking, smoke-free tobacco, and vapor use are prohibited in the residence halls. Violations of this policy may result in a fine of $500. For more information, click here.

Controlled Substances and Illicit Drug Policy

Michigan Technological University fully complies with all local, state and federal laws. The unlawful manufacture, possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs or controlled substances on University property or as part of University activities is strictly prohibited. For more information, please see the Abuse of Alcohol and Other Drugs by Students and Student Organizations Policy.