Community Living Expectations
Rights and responsibilities of living in the Residence Halls
Your rights as a residence hall student include:
- The right to a clean and healthy living space.
- The right to work, study, and sleep free from undue interference or noise.
- The right to privacy and freedom from interference of personal activities.
- The right to access your room without pressure or intimidation.
- The right to have your personal belongings respected.
- The right to be free of any unnecessary emotional distress, discrimination, or harassment (physical, sexual, verbal, etc.).
- The right to have conflicts resolved in a timely fashion.
Your responsibilities as a residence hall student include:
- To treat others and their belongings with respect and consideration.
- To help maintain a clean and healthy living space.
- To respond to all reasonable requests made by fellow community members.
- To cooperate with Residence Education and Housing Services staff members.
- To take responsibility for personal and community safety.
- To take responsibility for your guests and their behavior.
- To be aware of and abide by Michigan Technological University policies and procedures.
We strive to make the residence halls and Michigan Tech an inclusive community.
Inclusive and supportive communities are built upon mutual respect and consideration of each others’ needs. Members value different lived experiences, communicate openly, and actively include everyone. It requires that all members commit to individual and communal growth.
Harassment or bullying exacerbates hatred, harms individuals, and is never justified, no matter the circumstances. These behaviors cultivate misunderstanding and fear, and hurt all of us.
Michigan Tech does not tolerate discrimination or harassment. As a University, we strive to ensure that all students, faculty, and staff are able to study, work, teach, and learn in an environment that is healthy, safe, and free from bias or discrimination.
For more information or assistance, contact the Center for Diversity and Inclusion at email@example.com or 906-487-2920, or Institutional Equity at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-487-3310. Incidents of harassment or bullying can be reported to the Office of Academic and Community Conduct. You can also report a concern.