Student Financial Services Center

Loan Entrance Counseling

What is Entrance Counseling?

Entrance Counseling provides borrowers with information about the loan process and about their rights and responsibilities as borrowers. For further information, please see the Department of Education's Direct Loan Entrance Counseling Guide.  

Who must complete Entrance Counseling?

All first-time borrowers of Federal Direct Loans are required to complete Entrance Counseling.  Borrowers cannot receive funds from their Federal Direct Loans until Entrance Counseling is complete.

Where do I go to complete Entrance Counseling for my Federal Direct Loans?

Borrowers can complete Entrance Counseling for their Federal Direct Loans online through the Department of Education.  The Department of Education will then send confirmation that you completed Entrance Counseling to Michigan Tech’s Financial Aid Office.