Kelly S. Steelman
- Department Chair and Associate Professor, Cognitive and Learning Sciences
- Affiliated Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- Affiliated Associate Professor, Computer Science
- PhD, Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011
Links of Interest
- Basic and applied attention
- Models of attention
- Human performance in aviation
- Display design
- Tech adoption
- Technology training
Steelman, K. S., & Tislar, K. L. (2019). Measurement of Tech Anxiety in Older and Younger Adults. In International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 520-527). Springer, Cham.
Steelman, K.S. , McCarley, J.S., & Wickens, C.D. (2017). Theory-based Models of Attention in Visual Workspaces. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 33(1), 1-8.
Steelman, K.S., Tislar K.L., Ureel L.C., & Wallace C. (2017) Eliciting Best Practices in Digital Literacy Tutoring: A Cognitive Task Analysis Approach. In J. Zhou and G. Salvendy (Eds), Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Vol. 10297. Human Aspects of IT for the Aged Population. Aging, Design and User Experience (pp. 447-460). Springer, Cham.
Steelman, K. & Wallace, C. (2017). Breaking Barriers, Building Understanding: A Multigenerational Approach to Digital Literacy Instruction for Older Adults. ACM Newsletter SIGACCESS Accessibility and Computing, 118, 9-15.
Lum, H.C., Steelman, K.S., Frederick, C.M., Sonnenfeld, N.A, Amato-Henderson, S., & Smith, T.J. (2016). Exploring the Future of Human Factors Education: Online Learning, MOOCs, Next Generation Standards, and the Technological Skills We Need to Impart. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 60th Annual Meeting (pp. 430-434). Santa Monica, CA: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
Steelman, K.S. & North, H. (2016). Predicting Detection Times with Perceptual Euclidian Distance. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 60th Annual Meeting (pp. 1585-1589). Santa Monica, CA: Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.
Steelman, K.S., Tislar, C.L., Ureel II, L., Wallace, C. (2016). Breaking Digital Barriers: A social-cognitive approach to improving digital literacy in older adults. In C. Stephanidis (eds) Communications in Computer and Information Science, Volume 617. HCI International 2016 – Posters' Extended Abstracts. (pp. 445-450). Springer, Cham
McCarley, J.S., Steelman, K.S., & Horrey, W. (2014). The view from the driver’s seat: What good is salience? Applied Cognitive Psychology, 28, 414-426.
Steelman, K.S., McCarley, J.S. & Wickens, C.D. (2013). Great Expectations: Top-down attentional control modulates the costs of the clutter and eccentricity on alert detection performance. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 19, 403-419.
- Steelman, K.S., Talleur, D., Carbonari, R., Yamani, Y., McCarley, J.S., & Nunes, A. (2013). Auditory, visual, and bimodal data link displays and how they support pilot performance. Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine, 84(6), 560-566.
- McCarley, J.S., & Steelman, K.S. (2013). Visual Attention and Display Design. In Johnson, A. & Proctor, R. (Eds.), Neuroergonomics: Cognitive neuroscience approaches to human factors and ergonomics (51-68). New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Steelman, K.S., McCarley, J.S. & Wickens, C.D. (2011). Modeling the Control of Attention in Visual Workspaces. Human Factors, 53(2), 142-153.
- Steelman-Allen, K.S., McCarley, J.S., & Mounts, J.R.W. (2009). Localized attentional interference reflects competition for reentrant processing. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 16, 110-115.