Incoming community college transfer students who plan to major in electrical engineering technology, mechanical engineering technology, computer network and system administration, cybersecurity, or mechatronics are invited to apply for the Engineering Technology Scholars-IMPRESS program. In addition to an annual scholarship, students admitted to the program will engage in high-impact curricular and co-curricular activities designed to increase the success of academically-talented students.
Students receiving an ETS-IMPRESS scholarship will be admitted to the Pavlis Honors College at Michigan Technological University, an innovative and inclusive honors program designed around high-impact educational opportunities. Admission to the Honors College is not GPA-based, instead focusing on commitment and motivation to achieving your goals and becoming a graduate with depth of knowledge in your own major as well as interdisciplinary breadth.
Annual awards are valued at $4,500 and will be awarded in addition to other Michigan Tech merit-based aid students may qualify for. Additionally, transfer students will receive a $2,500 stipend for a seven-week research bridge program the summer before their first semester.
Need-based aid is also available for qualifying students. Awards are renewable for two years (four semesters). Students must remain enrolled in electrical engineering technology, mechanical engineering technology, or computer network and system administration and meet annual renewal criteria to maintain the award.
Who Should Apply
All transfer student applicants must
- apply, or be admitted, to one of the following majors
- be a US citizen or permanent resident
- file the FAFSA by March 5 and have a minimum unmet need of $4,500
- intend to start at Michigan Tech for the fall 2021 semester
- have a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- obtain a letter of recommendation from a professor within a respective department/program of your major
Transfer students in eligible fields who hold an associate's degree in a relevant engineering technology program prior to start are encouraged to apply. Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
have an application for admission on file, or be admitted to Michigan Tech in electrical engineering technology (not electrical engineering), mechanical engineering technology (not mechanical engineering), computer network and system administration, cybersecurity, or mechatronics by March 5
complete the ETS-IMPRESS application, which includes an essay question and doubles as an application for pre-admission to the Pavlis Honors College
have a professor within a respective department/program of your major provide a letter of recommendation by March 5
- File the FAFSA by March 5 and release the results to Michigan Tech using code 002292
Application Deadline and Other Important Dates
- March 5: FAFSA must be on file with Michigan Tech's code (002292)
March 5: ETS-IMPRESS application due by 11:59 p.m. (eastern time). You must have applied for admission to Michigan Tech to be eligible for this scholarship.
- March 5: Letter of recommendation due by 11:59 p.m. (eastern time).
- Mid March: Award recipients and applicants are notified.
Additional Scholarship Details
See our Financial Aid ETS-IMPRESS page for additional details.