Future Transfer Students

What should I take before I transfer into ECE?

Advice for students planning to transfer from another college/university to the MTU Electrical Engineering(EE) or Computer Engineering(CpE) program:

It is better to transfer here after one year (or even 11⁄2) rather than two.

  1. 2-year transfer students usually have a hard time getting a full load in some semesters, due to the abundance of general education, math, & physics credits and lack of early-on core required courses.
  2. Students start with sophomore level core EE &/or CS courses, leaving 4 - 7 semesters remaining, with 5 semesters being most common.

It is best if you can have Calculus II complete by the time your transfer to Tech.  Also, if ready, take linear algebra and/or differential equations prior to Calc III.

If you transfer here after two years elsewhere, you may want to start in summer and 'catch up', or plan to stay at Tech the next summer. This is especially advisable to students coming in with plenty of general education and math credits, or with no calculus.  Summer courses begin in early May.

Recommended courses to take before you get here:

MA 1160 Calculus I
MA 2160 Calculus II
PH 1100 + PH 2100 – University Physics I – Mechanics (Calculus based)

Electrical Engineers - CH1150 and CH1151, University Chemistry.  If you are not well-prepared for University Chemistry, you should take a preparatory chemistry course first.

Computer Engineers – CS 1121 and/or CS 1122 - Intro Computer Programming I and II using java

Electrical Engineers - CS1111 - C/C++  Have your college C/C++ course evaluated for MTU credits.

Other programming courses may transfer as ENG1101 - check with our Transfer Services Office.


You can also take anything equivalent to the following:

UN1025, Global Issues   UN1015, Composition
General education elective courses
CH 1150 & CH 1151  Used in math/science electives for CpE's

PH1200 & PH2200
ENG 1101 or ENG 1102

What courses should I avoid taking before I transfer into ECE?

When choosing courses for general education, use this set of requirements. At leas six credits of HASS must be level 3000 or higher.

Do not take college physics (algebra based) equivalent to Michigan Tech’s PH 1110, PH 1210. These credits will not apply to engineering majors.

Check Michigan Tech course equivalencies for your college courses. If they are not listed here, contact our Transfer Services Office to request course transfer credit evaluations - transfer@mtu.edu - 906-487-3323.