Understand Your Bill

Base Tuition

The base tuition rate can be found on the Tuition Rates page.

SVF—Student Voted Fees

The Undergraduate Student Government is in charge of initiating and managing fees for services that can be enjoyed by the entire student body.

Student Activity Fee: This fee provides financial support for the activities of the 200+ registered student organizations, including the Undergraduate Student Government and the Graduate Student Government.  Campus traditions, events, and initiatives, including but not limited to Keweenaw Day, Welcome Week, Homecoming, Winter Carnival, and Wellness, are made possible through financial support from the Student Activity Fee.  Financial allocations from the Student Activity Fee are determined by the Undergraduate Student Government and Graduate Student Government and formally approved by their governing bodies.

Experience Tech Fee: This fee provides access to a variety of student experiences, including Visual and Performing Arts events, student health and wellness programs, Portage Lake Golf Course, Mont Ripley Ski Hill, the Michigan Tech Trails, the Outdoor Adventure Program, and much more. 

2022-2023 Academic Year
Student Activity Fee—Grad (Fall and Spring) $50.00
Student Activity Fee—Grad (Summer) $10.00
Student Activity Fee—Undergrad (Fall and Spring) $60.00
Experience Tech Fee—Undergrad (Fall and Spring) $99.00
Experience Tech Fee—Grad (Fall and Spring) $80.00

Course/Lab Fees

If it is determined that a course needs special technologies and/or equipment in order to run at an effective level, the department that the class resides in may assess a course/lab fee.

Residence Hall Accommodations

These fees are based on the room, occupancy, and meal plan that you select. See Housing Rates.

Fines and Penalties

Sometimes, over the course of the year, a student may incur some extra charges on his or her bill. These fees usually arise when a student registers late; when a student has outstanding parking tickets, room damages, or past-due library books; or due to other similar acts of dereliction.


Any credit to an account—whether it is through a check, grad support, wire transfer, credit card, or a dispersion of financial aid—shows up in the credit column on the student bill.

Financial Aid

Aid appearing on your bill is based on the number of credits on your current schedule. If your financial aid award letter contains aid not listed on this bill, you may need additional course credits to receive the full award package. If additional credits are added, get a revised billing statement online. If you are carrying a full course schedule and aid is not on your bill, contact the Financial Aid Office.


Memos on your billing statement reflect incomplete financial aid or payments from sources outside the University (e.g., tuition voucher or Vocational Rehabilitation). Until payment is received, memo amounts are not included in refund calculations.

Refunds of Overpayments and Financial Aid

Refunds based on Federal Direct Loans are initiated the day after disbursement. All other credit-balance refunds are produced during the third week of classes.

Refund Options 

Direct Deposit— Log into Banweb and click on "Pay Bill/Confirm Enrollment". Then select "Non-Payroll Direct Deposit Destination” and follow the directions to add, delete or change your banking information.

  • You will receive an email from Financial Services and Operations confirming the amount of your payment or refund and the date it will be transmitted to your bank.
  • Confirm with your financial institution that your payment or refund has been deposited into your account before writing checks against these funds.
  • If you change accounts or banks after signing up, update your information online.

Check—If you do not choose direct deposit, a check will be mailed to the address we have on file.

Note—Direct deposits are processed daily. Checks are processed weekly.

Learn more about refunds