Final Draft Strategic Plan 2018
We prepare students to create the future.
Michigan Tech is a globally recognized technological university that educates students, advances knowledge, and innovates to improve the quality of life and to promote mutual respect and equity for all people within the state, the nation, and the global community.
Create solutions for society’s challenges by delivering action-based undergraduate and graduate education, discovering new knowledge through research, and launching new technologies through innovation.
Accomplish our mission through interdisciplinary education, research, and engagement with partners to advance sustainable economic prosperity, health and safety, ethical conduct, and responsible use of resources. Our specific focus is on education, scholarship, and people; this requires sufficient revenues from state, federal, corporate, and philanthropic sources.
Provide a distinctive and rigorous action-based learning experience grounded in science, engineering, technology, business, sustainability, and an understanding of the social and cultural contexts of our contemporary world.
Integrate instruction, research, and innovation to achieve the student learning goals for undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Provide research, service-learning, project-based, entrepreneurial, and international opportunities for students.
- Promote mutual appreciation of, and collaborative opportunities across, academic disciplines.
- Continually assess, review, and improve programs and develop new offerings in emerging disciplinary and interdisciplinary areas.
Provide a technologically-rich education grounded in a residential and experiential learning environment.
- Encourage and support high quality, innovative, and effective instruction and experiences to enhance student learning.
- Provide student mentoring, career and professional development, and leadership opportunities.
- Enhance student learning and experiences to promote long-term physical and mental health.
- Foster mutual respect in personal and professional interactions.
- Promote social and civic responsibility as well as ethical conduct.
Expand programs in response to social and economic needs and challenges.
- Develop and enhance pathways to completion of undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Increase both scholarly productivity and number of doctoral and master’s degrees awarded.
- Improve access via online and other non-traditional delivery of educational programs.
- Promote lifelong learning by providing opportunities for continuing education.
- Encourage understanding of public policy issues.
Enhance research, scholarship, entrepreneurship, innovation, and creative activities that promote sustainable economic prosperity, health and safety, ethical conduct, and responsible use of resources.
Grow research, scholarship, and creativity.
- Increase external support for research, scholarly, and creative activities, including leadership of interdisciplinary multi-institutional collaborations.
- Promote, recognize, and reward scholarly excellence and accomplishment.
- Encourage and support entrepreneurial and interdisciplinary activities.
- Promote sharing and growth of research facilities, services, and infrastructure.
Economic and Social Development
Promote innovation and development for economic and social progress.
- Advance interdisciplinary research to address problems of social significance.
- Create a culture of responsible innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Support workforce development and social engagement through collaborative outreach and technology transfer.
- Encourage and support technology commercialization and start-up businesses.
- Expand international and cross-cultural engagement with universities, industries, non-governmental organizations, and governments.
- Foster social development and economic growth of our state and the local community.
Foster and support an exceptional and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff.
Cultivate an exceptional academic and professional community.
- Recruit, support, recognize, and graduate bright, motivated, and adventurous students.
- Attract, retain, and support faculty and staff and provide recognition, rewards, and competitive compensation.
- Collaboratively develop opportunities for partner engagement.
- Provide professional development and leadership opportunities for students, tenured, tenure-track and non-tenure-track faculty, and staff.
- Optimize numbers of tenured, tenure-track, and non-tenure-track faculty and staff to foster growth of University programs.
Quality of Life
Ensure a supportive environment for all members of the University community.
- Promote equity, inclusiveness, and collegiality through openness, engagement, mutual respect, and understanding of diverse perspectives.
- Increase diversity, and promote success of all students, faculty, and staff.
- Provide a rich cultural environment and a welcoming campus.
- Support the health and well-being of all members of the University community.
- Engage with external partners to enhance the quality of life in our local community.
Provide exceptional services and infrastructure.
- Promote a university-wide culture of safety, responsiveness, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Provide exceptional technology, library, classroom, and laboratory facilities that support education, research, and innovation.
- Create and maintain an aesthetic, sustainable, and effective infrastructure.