Nominations are now open for the 2023 Staff Making a Difference Awards. Nominate a deserving colleague today in one of seven categories. The Making a Difference Awards Ceremony will be held on January 9, 2024 from 2:00-3:30pm in the Memorial Union Building Ballroom.
In order to nominate someone, please follow these steps:
- Review the award categories and criteria below.
- Create your nomination letter.
- Collect your statements of support (no more than three letters).
Please note that you will need to be prepared to upload your nomination letter and letters of support as one pdf file in the nomination form before exiting it. Otherwise it will be lost as the system will not automatically save it.
- Complete the nomination form.
This year's categories are:
- Employee is a member of AFSCME, POA, or UAW
- Delivers prompt, efficient, reliable service
- Fosters a positive work environment and relationships
- Shows an unrelenting commitment to their role
- Finds creative and effective solutions to problems in the workplace
- Implements ideas that have a high impact on our campus community and help move forward the university’s strategic plan
- Takes initiative and shows dedication
- Exhibits a high level of commitment
- Minimum 15 years of service to Michigan Tech
- Engages in collaboration and promotes teamwork
- Improves efficiency and exhibits a proactive approach to finding solutions
- Invests time and effort into mentoring colleagues and sharing knowledge with others
- Creates a positive and motivating work environment
- Recognizes others for their contributions
- Supports work-life balance and encourages professional development
- Responds well under pressure (grace under fire)
- Employee has been at Michigan Tech for 2 years or less
- Has made an impact in a short amount of time
- Quickly became a valuable member of the team
- Has a demonstrated understanding of the goals/mission of the department/area
- Volunteers time and effort to help others
- Maintains a high quality of service to university customers
- Fosters positive and productive client and colleague relationships
- Genuine desire to serve others without the need for fanfare
- Takes initiative without being prompted and without fanfare
- Is a positive and steady presence
- Demonstrates exceptional reliability
- Always willing to help when and where needed
All regular full-time and part-time staff are eligible. Award recipients will receive $500, after taxes. Past recipients are not eligible again until five years after their award year and are listed on the Staff Council page.
Nominations must be no more than three single-spaced pages. Nominators should prepare a letter that provides specific examples of the nominee’s accomplishments. Winners will be chosen based on examples of the category criteria. Nominations are limited to single individuals. No team or group nominations.
Statements of Support Criteria
We recommend nominators collect up to three letters of support from other colleagues, clients and members of the community to strengthen their nomination. Please note – support letters need to be no more than one page each.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 15, 2023. Nominations received after the deadline will not be considered. Please contact Laurie Stark at 7-1081 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.