Nominations are now open for the 2020 Staff Making a Difference Awards. Nominate a deserving colleague today in one of seven categories.
In order to nominate someone, please follow these steps:
- Review the award categories and criteria below.
- Create your nomination letter.
- Collect your statements of support (no more than three letters).
Please note that you will need to be prepared to upload your nomination letter and each letter of support as individual files in the nomination form before exiting it. Otherwise it will be lost as the system will not automatically save it.
- Complete the nomination form.
This year's categories are:
Above and Beyond
- Consistently goes above and beyond their job requirements
- Exceeds expectations on a regular basis
- Takes initiative and shows dedication
- Exhibits a high level of commitment
Behind the Scenes
- Employee is a member of AFSCME, POA, or UAW
- Delivers prompt, efficient, reliable service
- Fosters a positive work environment and relationships
- Shows an unrelenting commitment to their role
- Minimum 15 years of service to Michigan Tech
- Engages in collaboration and promotes teamwork
- Improves efficiency and exhibits a proactive approach to finding solutions
- Invests time and effort into mentoring colleagues and sharing knowledge with others
- Creates a positive and motivating work environment
- Recognizes others for their contributions
- Supports work-life balance and encourages professional development
- Responds well under pressure (grace under fire)
- Employee has been at Michigan Tech for 2 years or less
- Has made an impact in a short amount of time
- Quickly became a valuable member of the team
- Has a demonstrated understanding of the goals/mission of the department/area
- Volunteers time and effort to help others
- Maintains a high quality of service to university customers
- Fosters positive and productive client and colleague relationships
- Genuine desire to serve others without the need for fanfare
- Takes initiative without being prompted and without fanfare
- Is a positive and steady presence
- Demonstrates exceptional reliability
- Always willing to help when and where needed
All regular full-time and part-time staff are eligible. Award recipients will receive $500, after taxes. Past recipients are not eligible again until five years after their award year and are listed on the Staff Council page.
Nominations must be no more than three single-spaced pages. Nominators should prepare a letter that provides specific examples of the nominee’s accomplishments. Winners will be chosen based on examples of the category criteria. Nominations are limited to single individuals. No team or group nominations.
Statements of Support Criteria
We recommend nominators collect up to three letters of support from other colleagues, clients and members of the community to strengthen their nomination. Please note – support letters need to be no more than one page each.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, November 13, 2020. Nominations received after the deadline will not be considered. Please contact Jennifer Biekkola at 487-1056 or email email@example.com with any questions.