6.20—Hiring for Work Outside the United States

Effective: 03/01/2015
Senate Proposal: No
Responsible University Officer: Vice President for Administration
Responsible Office: Human Resources

Policy Statement

The University will fully comply with all U.S. and foreign country tax laws and regulations when hiring or paying individuals, whether U.S. citizens or aliens for services performed abroad.

Policy Requirements

University departments hiring employees to work outside of the United States must contact Human Resources prior to the procurement of the services of any individual who will be conducting work outside of the United Sates. University departments and employees should not make any financial or other commitments before the employment laws and regulations of the country involved are understood and communicated.


To ensure departmental hiring authorities comply with regulations concerning the employment of individuals working outside the country. Hiring employees and consultants to work in other countries is challenging. It presents significant compliance risks and requires understanding of local labor laws which often differ from the United States.


This policy addresses the hiring of any individual who is working outside of the United States.


Office/Unit Name Telephone Number
Human Resources Employment Services 487-2280


Hiring Department — Must contact Human Resources prior to hiring someone to work in a country other than the United States. The hiring department is responsible for all costs associated with the hire.

Human Resources — Support the hiring department by coordinating communication and contact with a third party expert, who will assist with complying with specific country employment and tax laws.

Adoption Date

03/13/2015 Approved by Vice President for Administration


04/10/2017 Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. Business and Finance numbers renamed from "2.6000" to "6. Human Resources". Specifically from "2.6020—Hiring for Work Outside the United States" to "6.20—Hiring for Work Outside the United States".