Senate Proposal: No
Responsible University Officer: Vice President for Administration
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Supervisors, if normally involved in the University decision, notify their supervisor and the Chief Human Resources Officer of the conflict with this policy.
- When a supervisor’s immediate family member is hired and they would be the decision-making
supervisor for the individual, the supervisor notifies their supervisor and the Chief
Human Resources Officer, via email, they are in conflict with this policy. The email
must include the following:
- Employee’s Name
- Employee’s Title
- Employee’s Department
- Supervisor’s relationship to employee
- Describe direct benefit(s) decision making authority.
- The supervisor’s supervisor and the Chief Human Resources Officer evaluates the case, and determines whether or not the case requires an alternate supervisor for the employee.
- The supervisor’s supervisor informs the supervisor of the review.
- NOTE: If no alternate supervisor is needed, then nothing else is required.
- If an alternate supervisor is being appointed, the supervisor’s supervisor completes
the following on an Employee Status Change form, available from Employment Services’
web site or by calling 7-2281:
- Enter the Employee Name and M Number.
- Enter the Contact Person’s Department, Name and Phone Number.
- Indicate the Employee’s Primary Position by selecting one of the three boxes.
- Indicate whether or not immigration authorization is needed by selecting Yes or No.
- Enter the employee's Supervisor's name.
- Indicate the (all) Reason(s) for Status Change, by selecting “Change in Supervisor”.
- Enter a brief justification of the reason for processing the form in the Comments/Justification
text box (such as “to be in compliance with the “Supervision of Relatives” policy).
- NOTE: A more detailed written justification must be attached.
- Enter the Start and End Date (if applicable).
- Obtain approval from the department chair/director or higher in supervisory chain
of command, and a countersignature, if required.
- NOTE: When an employee's time and payroll dollars are to be charged to an index under the control of a department other than the one initiating the request, the department head of the second department must also approve this request.
- Obtain approval from the next in line of the supervisory chain of command (form requires two signatures).
- Forward the Employee Status Change Form to Human Resources for approval and processing.
Forms and Instructions
In support of this policy, the following forms/instructions are included:
|04/10/2017||Transfer of policy page from HTML to CMS. Business and Finance numbers renamed from "2.6000" to "6. Human Resources". Specifically from "2.6012.1—Reporting Supervision of a Relative" to "6.12.1—Reporting Supervision of a Relative".|