John W. Sutherland
- Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MS, Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- BS, Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dr. Sutherland is involved in several projects related to manufacturing and environment/
sustainability. Example initiatives are the use of novel technology to eliminate cutting fluid mist from machining operations, and the recovery of value from end-of-use products with the goal of employing components in multiple life-cycles. Sutherland’s teaching interests parallel his research activities and includes the application of statistical methods to manufacturing. His honors include the SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (1992), MTU Distinguished Teaching Award (1992), NSF Career Development Award (1995), Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (1996), SAE Ralph R.Teetor Award (1999), ASME Manufacturing Engineering Division Outstanding Service Award (2001 & 2004), and MTU Research Award (2000).
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Environmentally Responsible Manufacturing
- Manufacturing and environment/sustainability
- Haapala, K. R., J. L. Rivera, and J. W. Sutherland, "Application of Life Cycle Assessment Methods to Sustainable Product Design and Manufacturing," International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Special Issue on Recent Advances in Flexible Automation, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2008, pp. 575-589.
- Haapala, K. R., K. L. Brown, and J. W. Sutherland, "A Life Cycle Environmental and Economic Comparison of Product-Service Systems," Trans. of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 36, pp. 333-340, 2008.
- Sutherland, J. W., D. P. Adler, K. R. Haapala, and V. Kumar, "A Comparison of Manufacturing and Remanufacturing Energy Intensities with Application to Diesel Engine Production," CIRP Annals, Vol. 57, No. 1, 2008, pp. 5-8.
- Kumar, V. and J. W. Sutherland, "Sustainability of the Automotive Recycling Infrastructure: Review of Current Research and Identification of Future Challenges," International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol. 1, Nos. 1/2, 2008, pp. 145-167.
- Hutchins, M. J. and J. W. Sutherland, "An Exploration of Measures of Social Sustainability and Their Application to Supply Chain Decisions," Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 16, 2008, pp. 1688-1698.
- Ju, C., J. Sun, D. J. Michalek, and J. W. Sutherland, "Development of an Imaging System and its Application in the Study of Cutting Fluid Atomization in a Turning Process," Particulate Science and Technology Journal, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2008, pp. 318-336.
- Jenkins, T. L. and J. W. Sutherland, "An Integrated Supply System for Forest Biomass," Chapter 5 in Renewable Energy From Forest Resources in the United States, Ed.: B. D. Solomon and V. A. Luzadis, Routledge, Oxfordshire, UK, November 2008, pp. 92-115.