Before you get here checklist
- Getting to Michigan Tech | Are you interested in visiting prior to your arrival?
- MTU Email is used for all official communication
- Cell phone providers: AT&T and Verizon Wireless
- Registering for classes
- Paying your student bill | Financial Information
- Health Insurance
- Your Michigan Tech ID: HuskyCard
- Applying (early!) for housing: On Campus| Off Campus
- Questions about GTA or GRA appointments? Please follow-up with your program of study.
- Make sure to submit your final proof of degree(s) to the Graduate School and any other official required documents that you did not submit with your application.
What to do your first semester
Get to know the local area and get involved!
There are activities and events throughout the year, both on campus and throughout the community:
- Experience Tech!
- Join in on campus! Student Life | Student Activities | Student Organizations
- Get to know the local area: Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau | Houghton | Hancock
- Campus parking: Zipcars available to rent and shuttle service provided during the week.
- Local transportation: Houghton Motor Transit Line | City of Hancock Public Transit
Who to go to for help
- Counseling and Wellness Services—help with study skills, or personal conflicts
- Graduate School staff—answer questions regarding your progress
- Husky FAN—The Food Access Network can help students struggling with food insecurity
- Multiliteracies Center—help with writing, resumes, presentations and more
- Public Safety and Police Services—report a crime, store a weapon, find emergency information
- Student Health Insurance—answer questions regarding health insurance
- Title IX coordinator—facilitates an environment free from prejudicial discrimination or harassment
- University Ombuds—provides Informal conflict mediation services
Technology and tools at Tech
- Canvas—Access course materials | Get help from Instructure| Get help from the Jackson Center for Teaching and Learning
- IT Resources for Graduate Students
- Software Distribution Center —Download software available to students (requires MTU ISO ID and password)
- E-mail, Email lists, Calendars, and Collaboration
- Google Apps—GMail | Drive | Sites | Google+
- Google Calendar—View and Subscribe | Schedule a meeting
- Library resources for graduate students
- Plagiarism detection software—Examine your documents for plagiarism (requires MTU ISO ID and password)
Academic and policy information
- Campus Inventors and Entrepreneurs—learn about the resources available to our inventors
- Degree Requirements
- External Funding Opportunities—write proposals to support your education
- Grades issued by Michigan Tech
- J.R. Van Pelt and Opie Library
- Policies—Graduate School | University
- Required Student Disclosures
- Theses and Dissertations—Reports
- Timeline and Forms