Michigan Technological University prepares students to create the future.
At Michigan Tech, crazy smart students do. They invent, design, code, create, and compete. Their discoveries make humans healthier and technology smarter. Together with researchers, faculty, and industry partners, Huskies create the future through research—here's how:
- Print 3-D prosthetic hands from recycled plastic for children in Nicaragua
- Build Bluetooth bicycle pedals for an improved mountain bike experience
- Bring down rogue unmanned aerial vehicles with drone catchers
- Develop cleaner, quieter snowmobiles
- Test and launch a low-Earth orbit nanosatellite
- Track predator-prey on Isle Royale
Our mission to create a just, prosperous, and sustainable world is expressed through our entrepreneurial spirit—equal parts curiosity and grit. It infuses everything we do. The lifeblood for an MTU Husky? Battling the North wind, trudging through 200 inches of snow each winter, and staying late in the lab to discover that one, new piece of the puzzle. It's hard work that fuels us.
Michigan Tech's programs earn praise for quality and value—and for safety and quality of life. Recent rankings include:
- Bestcolleges.com ranked MTU No. 18 in the US for ROI. Michigan Tech's 30-year net ROI—the average net earnings a graduate can expect over 30 years of work, minus the cost of their education—is $999,300. (May 2016)
- SmartAsset ranked MTU No. 2 in Michigan comparing the cost of a college education to graduates’ average starting salaries. (March 2016)
- Payscale.com ranked MTU No. 1 among public universities in Michigan for mid-career salaries. (August 2015)
- Brookings Institution ranked MTU No. 1 in Michigan, No. 4 in US in “value-added” factors such as the kinds of majors offered—particularly in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), graduation rates, student loan repayment rates, and the difference between predicted earnings and graduates’ actual earnings at mid-career and over a lifetime. (May 2015)
- Money Magazine: MTU ranked No. 90 out of 706 Best Colleges
- Money Magazine: MTU ranked No. 2 on the list of 11 Public Colleges Where Grads Make Six Figures
- Safewise: Houghton/MTU ranked No. 20 on the list of 50 Safest College Towns in America
- US News & World Report:
- Undergraduate rankings: No. 118 out of 280 public and private national universities offering undergraduate majors, plus master's and doctoral programs. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research.
- Graduate rankings: Environmental Engineering (38), Mechanical Engineering (53), Biomedical Engineering (63), Electrical Engineering (92), and Computer Engineering (95)