Graduate School Orientation
All New Graduate Students - Fall 2018
- Tuesday, August 28, 2018 — Orientation for graduate students in mechanical engineering only — pre-registration is required.
- Wednesday, August 29, 2018 — Orientation for graduate students in all other disciplines — pre-registration is required.
At orientation, you will be introduced to the expectations for graduate students and the basics of responsible conduct for research. You will also learn about services available on campus to support your success as well as a few tips from our presenters. Contact the Graduate School with any questions.
Schedule and Description
- 11:00am - 1:00pm: Check-in at the Memorial Union Commons (ground floor)
You will be given a lunch ticket to have lunch and socialize with other new students. You might even meet Blizzard T. Husky!
- 11:00am - noon - (tentative) Student Services Fair in the Memorial Union Commons (ground floor) during lunch you can learn about some of the great services and organizations available for students.
- 1:00 - 4:30pm: Orientation program in the Memorial Union Ballroom (2nd floor). Get introduced to the concepts below and obtain the required RCR training. If you do not complete the training within your first two semesters, you will have a hold placed on your account and will not be able to register for subsequent semesters.
- 4:30 - 5:00pm: Safety training (for Mechanical Engineers only; other programs will conduct their own safety training)
Our orientation program will introduce students to:
- Academic Integrity
- Advisor/Advisee Relationships
- Strategies and tips for graduate studies
- Responsible Conduct for Research (RCR) (required)
- Expectations for Graduate Education and policies
- Safety (Mechanical Engineering session only)
Graduate Teaching Assistantship Orientation
The GTA Orientation Schedule is available on the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) website and takes before the start of fall semester.
Individual programs may also have orientation sessions. Please contact your graduate program director for more information.
International Student Information
The office of International Programs and Services will welcome international students to campus and provide additional information.