- MEEM 802
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics, Michigan Technological University
Dr. Zou is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University (MTU). Prior to this appointment in 2022, he was a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Civil and Construction Engineering at Oregon State University (OSU) from 2021 to 2022. And he was a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at Iowa State University (ISU) before joining the Pacific Marine Energy Center at OSU (from 2018 to 2021). He received his PhD in the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at MTU in 2018. Dr. Zou has research interests in dynamics and control with applications to ocean renewables, multi-agent systems (autonomy), machine learning, optimization, and state estimation. Dr. Zou has a strong interest in making renewable energy more economically viable in the future energy market. He currently serves as the guest editor of the special issue of the journal Electronics. In addition, he also serves as the session chair of the 16th International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control (IFAC-MoVic 2022).
PhD Funded Student Position Available in Marine Renewable Energy
Seeking applications for 1 PhD student in the area of marine renewable energy (e.g., offshore wind, wave) and control (or machine learning). The student will receive full financial support including a stipend and tuition coverage. The candidate will be working with the research group lead by Dr. Shangyan Zou investigating the modeling, control, networking, and swarm behavior of marine renewable energy systems to improve the economic index of marine renewables.
Areas of Expertise
- Dynamics and Control
- Wave-Structure Interaction
- Multi-Agent Systems
- State Estimation
- Dynamics modeling and control of ocean renewable systems
- Swarm behavior of networked marine energy systems
- Fluid-structure interaction of soft ocean energy converters
- Control and automation of unmanned underwater vehicles
- Shangyan Zou, Xiang Zhou, Irfan Khan, Wayne W. Weaver, and Syed Rahman, Optimization of the Electricity Generation of a Wave Energy Converter Using Deep Reinforcement Learning, Ocean Engineering, vol. 244, pp. 110363, 2022, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2021.110363
- Shangyan Zou and Ossama Abdelkhalik, ''Modeling of a Variable-Geometry Wave Energy Converter,'' IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, pp. 1-12, Sept. 2020, doi: 10.1109/JOE.2020.3016073
- Shangyan Zou and Ossama Abdelkhalik, ''Collective Control in Arrays of Wave Energy Converters,'' in Renewable Energy, vol. 156, pp. 361-369, Aug. 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2020.04.069.
- Shangyan Zou and Ossama Abdelkhalik, ''Consensus Estimation in Arrays of Wave Energy Converters,'' in IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 943-951, July 2018, doi: 10.1109/TSTE.2018.285 6118
- Shangyan Zou, Ossama Abdelkhalik, Rush Robinett, Giorgio Bacelli, and David Wilson, ''Optimal control of wave energy converters.'' in Renewable Energy, vol. 103, pp. 217-225, Apr. 2017, doi: https://doi.org/10.101 6/j.renene.2016.11.036
- Dynamic Systems and Control
- Linear Systems
- Nonlinear Systems