- MEEM 907
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Dr. Youngchul Ra is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan technological University. He received his Ph.D. (1999) in Mechanical Engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and his Bachelor and Master’s degrees from Seoul National University. With background in both experimental and numerical research, he is currently focusing on the field of modeling and numerical simulation pertaining to combustion and emissions, internal combustion engines, alternative fuels, two-phase flow, computational fluid dynamics, chemical kinetics, etc.
Areas of Expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Combustion/Chemical kinetics
- Internal Combustion Engine
- Advanced Combustion Modeling: Gasoline Compression Ignition (GCI), Reactive Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI),High Pressure Torch Jet Combustion (HPTJC), Ignition, Flame propagation
- Engine CFD: Full Conjugate Multi-domain code, Engine combustion application, Code development
- Chemical kinetics: Multi-component fuel chemistry, Surface chemistry, Soot, Emissions.
- Alternative Fuel Research: Biofuel, Additives, Spray modeling, Fuel assessment and design
- High Performance Computing Technology: Parallel computing, Solver algorithm, Optimization
- Rajput, Oudumbar, Ra, Youngchul, Ha, Kyoung-Pyo, Son, You-sang, "Numerical Analysis of a Six-stroke Gasoline Compression Ignition (gci) Engine Combustion with Continuously Variable Valve Duration (CVVD) Valve Technology," International Journal of Engine Research, online first Mar 2019, pp. 1-19. DOI:10.1177/1468087419838390
- Ra, Y., Reitz, R.D., A combustion model for multi-component fuels using a physical surrogate group chemistry representation (PSGCR). Combustion and Flame, 2015. Read More
- Park, W., Ra, Y., Kurtz, E., Willems, W., and Reitz, R.D., Use of Multiple Injection Strategies to Reduce Emission and Noise in Low Temperature Diesel Combustion, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0831, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0831 Read More
- Wang, H., Ra, Y., Jia, M., Reitz, R.D., Development of a reduced n-dodecane-PAH mechanism and its Application for n-dodecane Soot Predictions. FUEL 136: 25-36, 2014.
- Federico Perini, Bishwadipa Das Adhikary, Jae Hyung Lim, Xingyuan Su, Youngchul Ra, Hu Wang, and Rolf Reitz, Improved chemical kinetics numerics for the efficient simulation of advanced combustion strategies, SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1):2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1113. Read More
- Xingyuan Su, Youngchul Ra, and Rolf Reitz, A Surrogate Fuel Formulation Approach for Real Transportation Fuels with Application to Multi-Dimensional Engine Simulations, SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(1):2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1464. Read More
- Paul Loeper, Youngchul Ra, Jaal Ghandhi, David Foster, Russell P. Durrett , Experimental and Computational Assessment of Inlet Swirl Effects on a Gasoline Compression Ignition (GCI) Light-Duty Diesel Engine, SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1299, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1299. Read More
- Federico Perini, Anand Krishnasamy, Youngchul Ra, and Rolf D. Reitz , Computationally efficient simulation of multi-component fuel combustion using a sparse analytical Jacobian chemistry solver and high-dimensional clustering, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 136 (9), #091515, 2014.