Gordon G. Parker
- John and Cathi Drake Chair Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo
Dr. Parker specializes in control system design and correlation of nonlinear dynamic models to experimental data. A key area of his research is the optimal control of microgrids with particular attention given to networked topologies. Closed loop control and real-time optimization for harmonizing use of available energy generation and storage assets, while satisfying loads, is the main theme. Applications requiring temporary or remote power motivate much of his funded research along with disaster relief scenarios. Development of a scalable, optimal control solution is critical for allowing the interconnection, in both power and communication, of separately deployed microgrids. The main challenge stems from a microgrid’s ever-changing energy asset and load portfolio and their effect on the system models used for optimal planning and control system design. Rational segregation of distributed versus centralized optimization and control is another research area. In the past year Dr. Parker and his colleagues formed the Agile and Interconnected Micrgorid (AIM) Center to bring together faculty from Computer Science, Mathematics, Cognitive Sciences and Learning, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Mechanical Engineering to focus an interdisciplinary team on this technical area. More generally, nonlinear control, system simulation, nonlinear system parameter identification and optimization, are present in most of Dr. Parker’s ongoing projects. Examples include active control of diesel engine aftertreatment systems and at-sea control of naval equipment.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Nonlinear Controls
- Control system design
- Methods for correlating nonlinear dynamic models to experimental data
- Nonlinear control
- System simulation
- Nonlinear system parameter identification and optimization
- Trinklein, Eddy H., Parker, Gordon G., Robinett, Rush D., Weaver, Wayne W., McCoy, T., "Reduced Order Multi-Domain Modeling of Shipboard Systems for Exergy-Based Control Investigations," ASNE Naval Engineers Journal, Vol. 130, No. 3, Sep 2018, pp. 87-105.
- Bunker, K. J., Cook, Michael D., Weaver, Wayne W., Parker, Gordon G., "Multidimensional Optimal Droop Control for Dc Microgrids in Military Applications," Applied Sciences, Special Issue DC & Hybrid Micro-Grids, Vol. 8, No. 10, Oct 2018, Article 1966, 14 pages. DOI:10.3390/app8101966
- Anderlini, E., Parker, Gordon G., Thomas, G., "Control of a ROV Carrying an Object," Ocean Engineering, Vol. 165, Oct 2018, pp. 307-318. DOI:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2018.07.022
- Chundru, Venkata R., Mahadevan, Boopathi S., Johnson, John H., Parker, Gordon G., Shahbakhti, Mahdi, "Development of a 2D Model of a SCR Catalyst on a DPF," Emission Control Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, online first Apr 2019, pp. 133-171. DOI 10.1007/s40825-019-00115-4
- Trinklein, E. and Parker, G., "Optimal Control of a Networked Ship Microgrid," Proceedings of the ASNE Advanced Machinery Technology Symposium, May 25-26, 2016, Philadelphia, PA.
- Jane, R. S., Parker, G. G, Weaver, W. W. and Rizzo, D. M., "Fuel-Optimal Strategies for Vehicle Supported Military Microgrids," Proceedings of the SAE 2016 World Congress & Exhibition, Detroit, MI, April 2016.
- Trinklein, E., Parker, G., and Blough, J., "Stiffness Characterization of an Inflated Airbag Based Three Axis Motion Platform," Proceedings of the IMAC-XXXIV Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, Jan 25-28, 2016, Orlando, FL.
- Kantamneni, Abhilash, Brown, Laura, Parker, Gordon, Weaver, Wayne, "Survey of Multi-Agent Systems for Microgrid Control." Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Oct 2015, Vol. 45, pp. 192-203. Read More
- Hassell, Trever, Weaver, Wayne, W., Robinett, Rush D., Parker, Gordon, G., and Wilson David, G., "Modeling of Inverter Based Ac Microgrids for Control Development", Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE Multiconference on Systems and Control, Sep 2015.
- Parker, G. G., Weaver, W. W., Robinett, R. D., and Wilson, D. G. (2015, August). Optimal DC microgrid power apportionment and closed loop storage control to mitigate source and load transients. Proceedings of IEEE Resilience Week (RWS), August 2015 (pp. 1-7). Read More
- Weaver, Wayne, Robinett, Rush, Parker, Gordon, "Distributed Control and Energy Storage Requirements of Networked Dc Microgrids." Control Engineering Practice, July 2015, Vol. 44, pp. 10-19. Read More
- Weaver, Wayne, Robinett, Rush, Parker, Gordon, Wilson, David. "Energy Storage Requirements of Dc Microgrids with High Penetration Renewables Under Droop Control," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, June 2015, Vol. 68, pp. 203-209. Read More
- Surenahalli, Harsha Shankar, Parker, Gordon G. and Johnson, John H., Extended Kalman Filter to Estimate NO, NO2, Hydrocarbon and Temperatures in a DOC During Active Regeneration and Under Steady State Conditions, 2015 SAE World Congress & Exhibition, Paper No. 2015-01-1059, April 2015. Read More
- Tang, Yuchen, Ten, Chee-Wooi, Wang, Chaoli, Parker, Gordon, "Extraction of Energy Information From Analog Meters Using Image Processing", IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Jan 2015, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 2032-2040. Read More
- Leban, Frank, Diaz-Gonzalez, James, Parker, Gordon, "Inverse Kinematic Control of a Dual Crane System Experiencing Base Motion." IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Jan 2015, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 331-339, DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2014.2314020. Read More
- Song, Xiaobo, Parker, Gordon G., Johnson, John H., Naber, Jeffrey D., Pihl, Josh, "A SCR Model Calibration Approach with Spatially Resolved Measurements and NH3 Storage Distributions," Journal of Emission Control Science and Technology, Nov 2014, Vol. 1, No.1, pp. 98-107, DOI:10.1007/s40825-014-0003-6 Read More
- Jane, Robert, Parker, G., Weaver, W., "Vehicle-to-Vehicle Resource Sharing," Proceedings of the 6th Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium, Aug 2014.
- Rizzo, Denise, Parker, Gordon G., "Determining Optimal State of Charge for a Military Vehicle Microgrid," International Journal of Powertrains, Aug 2014, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 303-318, DOI:10.1504/IJPT.2014.064329 Read More
- Weaver, Wayne W., and Parker, Gordon G. "Real-time Hardware-in-the-Loop simulation for Optimal Dc Microgrid Control Development." Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), 2014 IEEE 15th Workshop on. IEEE, June 2014. Read More
- Song, X., Parker, G., Johnson, J. H., Naber, J., and Pihl, J., "A Modeling Study of SCR Reaction Kinetics from Reactor Experiments," 2013 SAE World Congress & Exhibition, SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1576, April 2013. Read More
- Song, X., Naber, J., Johnson, J. H., & Parker, G., "An Experimental and Modeling Study of Reaction Kinetics for a Cu-Zeolite SCR Catalyst Based on Engine Experiments," 2013 SAE World Congress & Exhibition, SAE Technical Paper No. 2013-01-1054, April 2013. Read More
- Song, X., Surenahalli, H., Naber, J., Parker, G., and Johnson, J. H., "Experimental and Modeling Study of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) under Transient and CPF Active Regeneration Conditions," 2013 SAE World Congress & Exhibition, SAE Technical Paper No. 2013-01-1046, Apr 2013. Chicago Read More
- Rizzo, D. M., and Parker, G. G., "State of Charge Optimization for Military Hybrid Vehicle Microgrids," Proceedings of the Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) Conference, Feb 2013. Read More
- Trinklein, E., and Parker, G., "Combining Multiple GPS Receivers to Enhance Relative Distance Measurements," Proceedings of the IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium (SAS), pp. 33-37, Feb 2013. Read More
- Kramer, Denise, and Parker, Gordon G., 2011, "Current State of Military Hybrid Vehicle Development," International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 369-387.
- Parker, Gordon, Shi, Z., Granstrom, J., 2010, "Kinematic Analysis of a Swash-Plate Controlled Variable Displacement Axial-Piston Pump With a Conical Barrel Assembly," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements, and Control, Vol. 132, No. 1, 011002, 8 pages.
- Parker, Gordon, Johnson, John H., Devarakonda, M., Strots, V., 2009, "Model-Based Control System Design in a Urea-SCR Aftertreatment System Based on NH3 Sensor Feedback,” International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 653-662.
- Parker, Gordon, Yang, Song-Lin (Jason), Johnson, John H., Singh, N., 2009, "Vehicle Engine Aftertreatment System Simulation (VEASS) Model: Application to a Controls Design Strategy for Active Regeneration of a Catalyzed Particulate Filter," SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0970.
- Parker, Gordon, Johnson, John H., Devarakonda, M., Strots, V., and Santhanam, S., 2009, "Model-Based Estimation and Control System Development in a Urea-SCR Aftertreatment System," SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 646-661.
- Parker, Gordon, Bleck, J.C., Epp, D.S., Sumali, H., 2009, "A Simple Learning Control to Eliminate RF-MEMS Switch Bounce," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 458-465.
- Parker, Gordon, Schaub, H., Natarajan A., 2007, "Reconfiguration of a Nadir-Pointing 2-Craft Coulomb Tether," JBIS - Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 209-218.
- King, Lyon (Brad), Parker, Gordon, Schaub, H., Natarajan, A., 2007, "Coulomb Force Virtual Space Structures," ESA SP-633, Noordwijk: ESA Publications Division, pp. 39-44.
- Schaub, H., Parker, G. G., and King, L. B., 2004, “Challenges and Prospects of Coulomb Spacecraft Formation Flying,” The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 52, No. 1-2, pp. 169-193.
- Dhaliwal, A., Parker, G.G. and Blough, J. R., 2004, “Active Structural Acoustic Control of Road Noise in a Passenger Vehicle,” International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Vol. 2, pp. 168-188.
- Chen, W., Buehler, M., Parker, G. G., and Bettig, B., 2004, “Optimal Sensor Design and Control of Piezoelectric Laminate Beams,” IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 148-155.
- Kladopoulou, E. A., Yang, S. L., Johnson, J. H., Parker, G. G. and Konstandopoulos, A. G., 2003, “A Study Describing the Performance of Diesel Particulate Filters During Loading and Regeneration—A Lumped Parameter Model for Control Applications,” SAE Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Vol. 112, pp. 647-668.
- US Army Research Laboratory, "Distributed Agent-Based Management of Agile Microgrids," 2013-2017, with W. Weaver, L. Brown, and S. Goldsmith.
- John Deere, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Johnson Matthey, Corning, Tenneco, "Michigan Tech University Consortium in Diesel Engine Aftertreatment Research," 2013-2017, with J. Johnson and J. Naber.
- Quantum Engineering Design, "Ramp Motion Compensation Platform Analysis," 2015, with J. Blough and E. Trinklein.
- US Army Tank Automotive Research Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC), "Vehicle-to-Vehicle Resource Sharing," 2013-2014, with W. Weaver and S. Goldsmith.
- US DOE OE, Argonne National Laboratory, "Modeling and Control Technologies for Near-Term and Long-Term Networked Microgrids," 2013-2014, with W. Weaver, E. Trinklein, and C-W. Ten.
- Sandia National Laboratories, "Agent Based Control of Microgrids with High- Penetration Renewables," 2012-2013, with W. Weaver and S. Goldsmith.
- Sandia National Laboratories, "Modeling and Control of Microgrids with High- Penetration Renewables," 2011-2013, with W. Weaver.
- Craft Engineering, "Control System Development for Extending Boom Cranes," 2011- 2015.
- NOx Control Systems and Methods for Controlling NOx Emissions, US Patent 8,230,677
- Coordinated Control of Two Shipboard Cranes for Cargo Transfer with Ship Motion Compensation, US Patent 8,195,368
- Pendulation Control System with Active Rider Block Tagline System for Shipboard Cranes, US Patent 7,367,464
- Control System and Method for Payload Control in Mobile Platform Cranes, US Patent 6,496,765
- Pendulation Control System and Method for Rotary Boom Cranes, US Patent 6,442,439
- Vibration Damping Method and Apparatus, US Patent 5,913,955
- Sway Control Method and System for Rotary Cranes, US Patent 5,908,122
- MEEM4700 Dynamic Systems and Control
- MEEM4705 Introduction to Robotics and Mechatronics
- MEEM5701 Intermediate Dynamics
- MEEM5715 Linear System Theory and Control
- MEEM6702 Nonlinear System Theory and Control