Jeffrey D. Naber
- MEEM 1012
- Ron and Elaine Starr Professor in Energy Systems, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- Director, Advanced Power Systems Research Center
- Pi Tau Sigma Faculty Advisor
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Dr. Naber joined MTU in August of 2004. Prior to joining MTU, he worked in the automotive industry on R&D of engine-management-systems for gasoline and diesel engines. He also worked at Sandia National Laboratories, CRF investigating sprays and combustion processes of diesel, natural gas, and hydrogen engines utilizing laser based diagnostics. He and fellow colleagues direct the Advanced Internal Combustion Laboratories (AICE) at the University. His research interests are in IC engines and after-treatment and the development and application of advanced experimental techniques, signal processing technologies, theoretical models, and embedded control to characterize the thermo-physical processes.
Areas of Expertise
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Hydrogen and Biofuels
- Combustion processes and combustion control of hydrogen and hydrogen dual fueled engines
- Biofuels including ethanol with production from forest products and application in advanced combustion engines
- Gasoline IC engine research and the development of physical based correlations and models
- Development of combustion measurement techniques for diesel, gasoline, and HCCI and PPCI engines
- Ansari, Ehsan, Menucci, Tyler, Shahbakhti, Mahdi, Naber, Jeffrey D., "Experimental Investigation into Effects of High Reactive Fuel on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of the Diesel - Natural Gas Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Engine," Applied Energy, Vol. 239, Apr 2019, pp. 948-956. DOI:10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.01.256
- Ansari, Ehsan, Shahbakhti, Mahdi, Naber, Jeffrey D., "Optimization of Performance and Operational Cost for a Dual Mode Diesel-natural Gas RCCI and Diesel Combustion Engine," Applied Energy, Vol. 231, Dec 2018, pp. 549-561. DOI:10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.09.040
- Szwaja, S., Ansari, Ehsan, Rao, Sandesh, Szwaja, M., Grab-Rogalinski, K., Naber, Jeffrey D., Pyrc, M., "Influence of Exhaust Residuals on Combustion Phases, Exhaust Toxic Emission and Fuel Consumption from a Natural Gas Fueled Spark-ignition Engine," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 165, Jun 2018, pp. 440-446. DOI:10.1016/j.enconman.2018.03.075
- Ge, H., Johnson, Jaclyn E., Krishnamoorthy, Hari, Lee, Seong Y., Naber, Jeffrey D., Robarge, N., Kurtz, E., "A Comparison of Computational Fluid Dynamics Predicted Initial Liquid Penetration using Rate of Injection Profiles Generated using Two Different Measurement Techniques," International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, Feb 2019, pp. 226-235. DOI:10.1177/1468087417746475
- L. Jia, J. D. Naber, and J. R. Blough, “Review of Sensing Methodologies for Estimation of Combustion Metrics,” Journal of Combustion, Mar 2016, Article No. 8593523, 9 pages, DOI:10.1155/2016/8593523 Read More
- L. B. Jia, J. D. Naber, and J. R. Blough, “Frequency Response Function Adaptation for Reconstruction of Combustion Signature in a 9-L Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part C-Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Dec 2015, Vol. 229, No. 17, pp. 3071-3083, DOI:10.1177/0954406215569256 Read More
- A. Zhang, R. Scarcelli, S.-Y. Lee, T. Wallner, and J. Naber, "Numerical Investigation of Spark Ignition Events in Lean and Dilute Methane/Air Mixtures Using a Detailed Energy Deposition Model," Apr 2016, SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0609, 14 pages, DOI:10.4271/2016-01-0609 Read More
- L. Zhao, S. Limbu, S. P. Potham, S. Y. Lee, J. D. Naber, S. Barros, and W. Atkinson, "Numerical Simulations for Spray Characterization of Uneven Multiple Jet-to-Jet Impingement Injectors," Apr 2016, SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0840, 10 pages, DOI:10.4271/2016-01-0840 Read More
- X. Zhu, L. Sforza, T. Ranadive, A. Zhang, S.-Y. Lee, J. Naber, T. Lucchini, A. Onorati, M. Anbarasu, and Y. Zeng, “Experimental and Numerical Study of Flame Kernel Formation Processes of Propane-Air Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel,” SAE International Journal of Engines, Apr 2016, Vol. 9, No. 3, Article No. 2016-01-0696, 18 pages, DOI:10.4271/2016-01-0696 Read More
- L. Zhao, A. A. Moiz, S.-Y. Lee, J. Naber, S. Barros, and W. Atkinson, "Investigation of Multi-Hole Impinging Jet High Pressure Spray Characteristics under Gasoline Engine-Like Conditions," Apr 2016, SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0847, 11 pages, DOI:10.4271/2016-01-0847 Read More
- Zoldak, P., and Naber, J. "Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - AFR and EGR Dilution Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2808, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2808 Read More
- Zoldak, P. and Naber, J., "Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - Start of Injection and Spark Timing Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2813, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2813. Read More
- Song, Xiaobo, Naber, Jeffrey D., Johnson, John H., "A Review of the Literature of Selective Catalytic Reduction Catalysts Integrated into Diesel Particulate Filters," International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp.738-749, Sep 2015, DOI: 10.1177/1468087414545094 Read More
- Song, Xiaobo, Naber, Jeffrey D., Johnson, John H., "A Study of the Effects of NH3 Maldistribution on a Urea-SCR System," International Journal of Engine Research, Feb 2015, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 213-222, DOI: 10.1177/1468087414532462 Read More
- Foley, Ryan, Johnson, John H., Naber, Jeffrey D., Rogoski, Leigh, "Experimental Measurements of Particulate Matter Distribution in a Catalyzed Particulate Filter," Journal of Emission Control Science and Technology, Jan 2015, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 32-48, DOI: 10.1007/s40825-014-0005-4 Read More
- Song, Xiaobo, Parker, Gordon G., Johnson, John H., Naber, Jeffrey D., Pihl, Josh, "A SCR Model Calibration Approach with Spatially Resolved Measurements and NH3 Storage Distributions," Journal of Emission Control Science and Technology, Nov 2014, Vol. 1, No.1, pp. 98-107, DOI: 10.1007/s40825-014-0003-6 Read More
- Jia, Libin, Blough, Jason R., Naber, Jeffrey D., Zekavat, Seyed A., 2014, "Accelerometer-Based Combustion Metrics Reconstruction With Radial Basis Function Neural Network for a 9 L Diesel Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 13(3), March 1, 2014, Article No. 031507, 9 pages, DOI: 10.1115/1.4025886.
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Ge, Hai-Wen, Naber, Jeffrey D., Lee, Seong-Young, Kurtz, Eric, and Nan R., 2013, "Investigation of Key Mechanisms for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays," SAE International Journal of Engines, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1202-1212, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1594. Read More
- Meijer, Maarten, Somers, L.M.T., Johnson, Jaclyn, Naber, Jeffrey D., Lee, Seong-Young, Malbec, L.M., Bruneaux, Gilles, Pickett, Lyle, Bardi, M., Payri, Raul, and Bazyn, Tim, 2012, "Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels," Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 777-806. Read More
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Naber, Jeffrey D., and Lee, Seong-Young, 2012, "Characterizing Diesel Fuel Spray Cone Angle from Back-Scattered Imaging by Fitting Gaussian Profiles to Radial Spray Intensity Distributions," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 134, No. 6, Article ID 062802, 8 pages. Read More
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Worm, Jeremy J., Miers, Scott A., and Naber, Jeffrey D., 2011, "Biofuel Use from Bioenergy Crops: Internal Combustion Engines in Transportation," Handbook of Bioenergy Crop Plants, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, ISBN 9781439816844.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Worm, Jeremy, Yeliana, Yeliana, Cooney, Christopher, Michalek, Donna J., 2011, "Estimation of Double-Wiebe Function Parameters using Least Square Method for Burn Durations of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends in Spark Ignition Engine over Variable Compression Ratios and EGR Levels," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 14-15, pp. 2213-2220. Read More
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Nesbitt, Jaclyn E., Johnson, Samuel E., Pickett, Lyle M., Siebers, Dennis L., 2011, "Modeling Minor Species Including NO and OH Resulting from Preburn in a Constant Volume Combustion Vessel and Their Impact on the Subsequent Ignition Delay of n-Heptane," Energy Fuels, Vol. 25 (3), pp. 926-936. Read More
- Jeffrey Naber, Scott Miers, Benjamin W. Moscherosch, Christopher J. Polonowski, "Combustion and Emissions Characterization of Soy Methyl Ester Biodiesel Blends in an Automotive Turbocharged Diesel Engine," ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Volume 132, Issue 9, 2010-09-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Abhijit, "Ionization Signal Response during Combustion Knock and Comparison to Cylinder Pressure for SI Engines," SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars- Electronic and Electrical Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 349-364, 2009-04-00 Read More
- Jeffrey Naber, Mathur, V. K, Moscherosch, B. W., Polonowski, C. J., "Application and comparison of soy based biodiesel fuel to ultra low sulfur diesel fuel in a HPCR diesel engine - Part II: combustion and emissions," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Volume 15, Issue 4, Pages 311-320, 2008-12-31
- Jeffrey Naber, Yeliana, Worm, J., "Property Determination for Ethanol-Gasoline Blends with Application to Mass Fraction Burn Analysis in a Spark Ignition Engine," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 553-561, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Yeliana, Cooney, C., and Worm, J., "Wiebe Function Parameter Determination for Mass Fraction Burn Calculation in an Ethanol-Gasoline Fuelled SI Engine," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 567-574, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Mathur, V.K., Moscherosch, B.W., and Polonowski, C.J., "Application and Comparison of Soy Based Biodiesel Fuel to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in a HPCR Diesel Engine - Part I: Engine Performance Parameters," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 327-334, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Mathur, V.K., Moscherosch, B.W., and Polonowski, C.J., "Application and Comparison of Soy Based Biodiesel Fuel to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel in a HPCR Diesel Engine - Part II: Combustion and Emissions," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 311-320, 2008-01-00
- Jeffrey Naber, Szwaja, S., "Impact of Leaning Hydrogen-Air Mixtures on Engine Combustion Knock," Journal of KONES, Powertrain & Transportation, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 483-491, 2008-00-00
- Liu, L.Y., Yang, H., Plee, S., Naber, J.D., “Windowed Selected Moving Autocorrelation (WSMA) Tri-Correlation (TriC), and Misfire Detection,” SAE Paper 05P-5762, 2005.
- Naber, J.D., and Siebers,D.L., “Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays,” SAE Paper 960034.
- Naber, J.D., and Siebers, D.L., “Autoignition of Hydrogen Under Direct-Injection Compression-Ignition Engine Conditions,” CSS/WSS/MNS of the Comb. Inst. 95S093, 1995.
- Naber, J.D., Siebers, D.L., Di Julio, S.S., and Westbrook, C.K., “Effects of Natural Gas Composition on Ignition Delay Under Diesel Conditions,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 99, pp. 192-200, 1994.