- MEEM 927
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering—Engineering Mechanics
- Energy Thermo-Fluids (ETF) Area Director
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Lee is an experimentalist interested in studying turbulent and spray combustion, including high-pressure diesel and gasoline spray and fundamental turbulent flames. Dr. Lee’s research interests are in the area of energy-thermal-fluid sciences, bio/alternative spray fuel combustion, surrogate fuel chemistry, advanced laser diagnostics, combustion dynamics of instabilities and stabilization, and non-equilibrium plasma-assisted combustion as alternative power conversion. Dr. Lee’s research emphasizes combustion experiment based on applications in energy, environment, and aerospace.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Spray Combustion
- Fuel Chemistry
- Soot Emissions
- Laser-Based Combustion Diagnostics
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Gas Turbine Engine
- Laminar and Turbulent Combustion engines
- Soot Formation and Spray Combustion
- Bio/Alternative Renewable Energy and Clean Fuels in Low Temperature Combustion
- New Emerging Laser-Based Technique Development
- Nonequilibrium Plasma-Assisted Combustion
- Surrogate Fuel Chemical Reaction Models and CFD Modeling of Reacting Flow Systems
- Combustion Dynamics of Instability, Stabilization, and Propagation in Gas Turbine Engine
- Ge, H., Johnson, Jaclyn E., Krishnamoorthy, Hari, Lee, Seong Y., Naber, Jeffrey D., Robarge, N., Kurtz, E., "A Comparison of Computational Fluid Dynamics Predicted Initial Liquid Penetration using Rate of Injection Profiles Generated using Two Different Measurement Techniques," International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 20, No. 2, Feb 2019, pp. 226-235. DOI:10.1177/1468087417746475
- Moiz, Ahmed A., Cung, Khanh D., Lee, Seong-Young, "Ignition, Lift-off, and Soot Formation Studies in n-dodecane Split Injection Spray-flames," International Journal of Engine Research, Vol. 18, No. 10, pp. 1077-1087, Dec 2017. DOI: 10.1177/1468087417700778
- Ge, Haiwen, Johnson, Jaclyn, Krishnamoorthy, Hari, Lee, Seong-Young, Naber, Jeffrey, Robarge, N., Kurtz, E., "A Comparison of Computational Fluid Dynamics Predicted Initial Liquid Penetration Using ROI Profiles Generated Using Two Different Measurement Techniques," International Journal of Engine Research, 10 pages, online first Dec 2017. DOI: 10.1177/1468087417746475
- Hai-Wen Ge, Michael Norconk, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Steve Wooldridge, James Yi, “PIV measurement and numerical simulation of fan-driven flow in a constant volume combustion vessel,” Applied Thermal Engineering 64:19-31, 2014.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Johnson, Jaclyn, Ge, Hai-Wen, Kurtz, Eric, Nan, R., 2013, "Investigation of Key Mechanisms for Liquid Length Fluctuations in Transient Vaporizing Diesel Sprays," SAE International Journal of Engines, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 1202-1212.
- Anqi Zhang, Khanh Cung, Seong-Young Lee, Jeffrey Naber, Garlan Huberts, Michael Czekala, and Qiuping Qu, “The Impact of Spark Discharge Pattern on Flame Initiation in a Turbulent Lean and Dilute Mixture in a Pressurized Combustion Vessel,” SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1627.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Meijer, Maarten, Somers, L.M.T., Johnson, Jaclyn, Malbec, L.M., Bruneaux, Gilles, Pickett, Lyle, Bardi, M., Payri, Raul, Bazyn, Tim, 2012, "Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Characterization and Comparison of Boundary Conditions for Different Combustion Vessels," Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 22, No. 9, pp. 777-806.
- Johnson, Jaclyn, Naber, Jeffrey D., and Lee, Seong-Young, 2012, "Characterizing Diesel Fuel Spray Cone Angle from Back-Scattered Imaging by Fitting Gaussian Profiles to Radial Spray Intensity Distributions," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 134, No. 6, Article ID 062802, 8 pages.
- Lee, Seong-Young, Litzinger, T., Colket, M., Kahandawala, M., Liscinsky, D., McNesby, K., Pawlik, R., Roquemore, M., Santoro, R., Sidhu, S., and Stouffer, S., 2011, "Fuel Additive Effects on Soot across a Suite of Laboratory Devices, Part 2: Nitroalkanes," Combustion Science and Technology Vol. 183, No. 8, pp. 739-754.
- Naber, Jeffrey, Lee, Seong-Young, Nesbitt, Jaclyn E., Johnson, Samuel E., Pickett, Lyle M., Siebers, Dennis L., 2011, "Modeling Minor Species Including NO and OH Resulting from Preburn in a Constant Volume Combustion Vessel and Their Impact on the Subsequent Ignition Delay of n-Heptane," Energy Fuels, Vol. 25, No.3, pp. 926-936.
- Lee, Seong-Young, Ding, Nan, Arora, Rajat, Norconk, Michael, 2011, "Numerical Investigation of Diluent Influence on Flame Extinction Limits and Emission Characteristic of Lean-Premixed H2-CO (syngas) Flames," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 3222-3231.
- Lee, Seong-Young, Bouvet, N., Chauveau, C., Gokalp, I., Santoro, R.J., 2011, "Characterization of Syngas Laminar Flames Using the Bunsen Burner Configuration," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 36, Issue 1, pp. 992-1005.
- Jeffrey Naber, Seong-Young Lee, Jaclyn Johnson, "Characterizing Diesel Fuel Spray Cone Angle from Back-Scattered Imaging by Fitting Gaussian Profiles to Radial Spray Intensity Distributions," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 134, No. 6, Article ID 062802, 8 pages, 2011-00-00
- S. Seo and S.-Y. Lee, “Effects of Unmixedness on Combustion Instabilities in a Lean-Premixed Gas Turbine Combustor,” Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 85: 95-112, 2010.
- A. Mensch, R. Santoro, T. Litzinger, and S.-Y. Lee, “Sooting Characteristics of Surrogates for Jet Fuels,” Combustion and Flame 157:1097-1105, 2010
- Seong-Young Lee, Litzinger, T., Colket, M., Kahandawala, M., Katta, V., Liscinsky, D., McNesby, K., Pawlik, R., Roquemore, W., Santoro, R., Sidhu, S., Stouffer, S., Wu, J. , "Fuel Additive Effects on Soot across a Suite of Laboratory Devices, Part 1: Ethanol," Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 181, No. 2, pp. 310 - 328, 2009-02-00
- S.-Y. Lee, S.R. Turns, and R.J. Santoro, “Measurement of Soot, OH Radical and PAH Concentrations in Turbulent Ethylene/Air Jet Flames,” Combustion and Flame 156: 2264-2275, 2009.
- V. Katta, W. Roquemore, A. Menon, S.-Y. Lee, R. Santoro, and T. Litzinger, “Impact of Soot on Flame Flicker,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32: 1343-1350, 2009.
- Seong-Young Lee, Balster, L., Coporan, E., Dewitt, M., Edwards, T., Ervin, J., Graham, J., Pal, S., Phelps, D., Rudnick, L., Santoro, R., Schobert, H., Shafer, L., Striebich, R., West, Z., Wilson, G., Woodward, R., Zabarnick, S., "Development of an Advanced, Thermally Stable, Coal-based Jet Fuel," , 2008-04-00
Dr. Lee is interested in turbulent and spray combustion, including high-pressure diesel and gasoline spray and fundamental turbulent flames.