- EERC 1009
- Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- Richard and Elizabeth Henes Associate Professor of Energy Storage Systems
- PhD, Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering, University of Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- MSc, Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering, University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- BEng, Industrial Engineering specializing in Electric Power Systems, University Carlos III, Spain
Since Fall 2013 Dr. Lucia Gauchia is an Associate Professor with a joint appointment between the Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics (ME-EM). She holds an endowed position as a Richard and Elizabeth Henes Associate Professor for Energy Storage Systems.
Before her appointment she was a Postdoctoral Associate at McMaster University (Canada), working in the McMaster Institute for Automotive Research and Technology during 2012-2013. She received her BSc, MSc, and PhD from the University Carlos III of Madrid UC3M (Spain) in 2005, 2007, 2010 respectively. She was a lecturer at UC3M until 2012 in the Department of Electrical Engineering. During 2011 she was a visiting scholar at the University of Lille 1 (France) and the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (Switzerland).
Her research interests are energy storage systems and they are focused on two aspects. The first is battery modeling, aging estimation and integration in vehicle and grid applications, as well as repurposing used electric vehicle batteries in residential and commercial applications as a second life. Her second research interest is in designing multi-disciplinary energy storage systems that can combine hydraulic, mechanical and electrochemical energy storage systems. She is now working towards such a system for a wave energy converter application.
She is current an Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Transportation Applications journal, a member of the IEEE society, IEEE Women in Engineering and Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers.
Links of Interest
Areas of Interest
- Battery energy storage testing, and modeling. Battery aging testing and impedance extraction. Application to vehicle and grid applications.
- Non-traditional energy storage, such as hydraulic, mechanical or electrochemical for wave energy applications
- Jafari, M., Gauchia Babe, Antonio, Zhao, S., Zhang, Kuilin, Gauchia Babe, Lucia, "Electric Vehicle Battery Cycle Aging Evaluation in Real-world Daily Driving and Vehicle-to-grid Services," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 122—134, Oct 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TTE.2017.2764320
- Khan, Khalid, Jafari, Mehdi, Gauchia Babe, Lucia, "Comparison of Li-ion Battery Equivalent Circuit Modelling using Impedance Analyzer and Bayesian Networks," IET Electrical Systems in Transportation, online first Mar 2018. DOI: 10.1049/iet-est.2017.0087
- Castano-Solis, S., Gauchia Babe, Lucia, Serrano-Jimenez, D., Sanz, J., "Off-the-Shelf and Flexible Hybrid Frequency and Time Domain Experimental Architecture Setup for Electrochemical Energy Modules Testing Under Realistic Operating Conditions," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 620-628, Jun 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TEC.2016.2646800
- Contract with ITC Holdings Co. on energy storage solutions for grid applications
- NSF CAREER Award 2017-2022