- MEEM 905
- Dave House Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering
- PhD, Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, University of California-Davis
Dr. Chen is the Dave House Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering – Engineering Mechanics and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Michigan Technological University. She received her PhD degree from the University of California, Davis, in 2005. Dr. Chen conducts interdisciplinary researches in the areas of mechatronics and embedded systems, agent technology, modeling and control of hybrid electric vehicles, cyber-physical systems, and automation. Her research projects are funded by National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, and industrial partners. Dr. Chen has authored or co-authored over 70 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers. She received the Best Paper Award at 2008 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications.
Dr. Chen is currently serving as the Chair of the Technical Committee on Mechatronics and Embedded Systems of IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society and the Chair of the Technical Committee on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications of ASME Design Engineering Division. She is an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Dr. Chen has served as Program Chair, Symposium Chair, and Session Chair for a number of international conferences. She was the General Chair of 2013 ASME/IEEE International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Mechatronics and embedded systems
- Agent Technology
- Monitoring and control networks
- Hybrid electric vehicles
- Smart grid
- Modeling and control of hybrid electric vehicles
- EV-smart grid integration
- Distributed monitoring and control
- Battery control for HEV and energy storage systems
- IC engine management systems
- Sensor information fusion
- Cheng, M., Chen, Bo, "Nonlinear Model Predictive Control of a Power-Split Hybrid Electric Vehicle with Consideration of Battery Aging," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 141, No. 8, online first Mar 2019, Article 081008, 10 pages. DOI:10.1115/1.4042954
- Wang, Luting, Chen, Bo, "Distributed Control for Large-Scale Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging with A Consensus Algorithm," International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 109, online first Feb 2019, pp. 369-383. DOI:10.1016/j.ijepes.2019.02.020
- Wang, Luting, Chen, Bo "Dual-Level Consensus-Based Frequency Regulation Using Vehicle-to-Grid Service," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol 167, Feb 2019, pp. 261-276. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsr.2018.10.022
- Cao, C., Chen, Bo, "Generalized Nash Equilibrium Problem based Electric Vehicle Charging Management in Distribution Networks," International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 42, No. 15, Dec 2018, pp. 4584-4596. DOI:10.1002/er.4194
- Barik, Biswajit, Bhat, Pradeep K., Oncken, Joseph, Chen, Bo, Orlando, Joshua, Robinette, Darrell, "Optimal Velocity Prediction for Fuel Economy Improvement of Connected Vehicles," IET Intelligent Transport Systems, Vol. 12, No. 10, Dec 2018, pp. 1329 – 1335. DOI:10.1049/iet-its.2018.5110
- Chen, Bo, Robinette, Darrell, Shahbakhti, Mahdi, Zhang, Kuilin, Naber, Jeffrey D., Worm, Jeremy J., Pinnow, Christopher, Morgan, Christopher J., "Connected Vehicles and Powertrain Optimization," ASME Dynamic Systems & Control Magazine," Vol. 139, No. 9, pp. S12-S18, Sep 2017. DOI: 10.1115/1.2017-Sep-5
- Bertozzi, M., Chen, Bo, Zingaretti, P., "Introduction to the Special Issue on Applications of Mechatronic and Embedded Systems (MESA) in ITS," IEEE Transaction on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp 530-532, Feb 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TITS.2018.2792338
- Li, Yang, Agashe, Pushkar, Ge, Zicheng, Chen, Bo, 2014, “Rapid Prototyping Energy Management System for a Single Shaft Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Using Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation,” SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains, Vol. 2(2), SAE Paper No. 2013-01-0155, pp.241-251, DOI:10.4271/2013-01-0155.
- Liu, Wenjia, Chen, Bo, Swartz, Raymond A, 2013, “Investigation of Time Series Representations and Similarity Measures for Structural Damage Pattern Recognition,” The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, Article No. 248349, 13 pages. DOI:10.1155/2013/248349.
- Chen, Bo, Chou, Yu-Cheng, Cheng, Harry H., 2013, “Open Source Ch Control System Toolkit and Web-Based Control System Design for Teaching Automatic Control of Linear Time-Invariant Systems,” Computer Applications in Engineering Education, Vol. 21, pp.95-112, DOI: 10.1002/cae.20454.
- Chen, Bo, Feng, Lei, Liu, Wenjia, 2012, "Driving Pattern Recognition for Adaptive Hybrid Vehicle Control," SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 169-179.
- Chen, Bo, and Liu, Wenjia, 2012, "A High Computational Power Wireless Sensor Network for Distributed Structural Health Monitoring," International Journal of Sensor Networks, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 137-147.
- Chen, Bo, and Liu, Wenjia, 2012,"A Web-Based Structural Health Monitoring Sensor Network," International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 188-197.
- Chen, Cheng, Li Shuang, Shuang, Chen, Bo, Wen, Ding, 2011, "Agent Recommendation for Agent-Based Urban-Transportation Systems," IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 77-81.
- Bo Chen, Chuanzhi Zang, "Emergent Damage Pattern Recognition using Immune Network Theory," Smart Structures and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 1 pp. 69-92, 2011-00-00
- Bo Chen and Chuanzhi Zang, "A Hybrid Immune Model for Unsupervised Structural Damage Pattern Recognition," Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1650-1658, 2011.
- Wenjia Liu and Bo Chen, "Optimal Control of Mobile Monitoring Agents in Immune-Inspired Wireless Monitoring Networks," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1818-1826, 2011.
- Bo Chen, Stephen S. Nestinger, Harry H. Cheng, "A Mobile Agent-Based Framework For Flexible Automation Systems," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics vol. 15, no. 6, Pages 942-951, 2010-12-01
- Bo Chen, "Agent-Based Artificial Immune System Approach for Adaptive Damage Detection in Monitoring Networks," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 33, Issue 6, Pages 633-645, 2010-11-00
- Bo Chen, "Mobile Agents in E-Commerce," Encyclopedia of E-Business Development and Management in the Digital Economy, Ch. 084, pp. 846-853, 2010-02-01
- Bo Chen and Wenjia Liu, "Mobile Agent Computing Paradigm for Building a Flexible Structural Health Monitoring Sensor Network," Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 504-516, 2010.
- Bo Chen and Harry H. Cheng, "A Review of the Applications of Agent Technology in Traffic and Transportation Systems," IEEE Transaction on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 485-497, 2010.
- Bo Chen, H.H. Cheng, D. Ko, "Control System Design and Analysis Education via the Web," Intelligent Systems, Control and Automation: Science and Engineering, Volume 38, pp. 39-59, 2009-09-01
- Bo Chen, "Artificial-immune-system approach enables monitoring structural health," SPIE Newsroom, 2009-09-01
- Bo Chen, "Enhancing Control Systems Learning Experience with an Interactive Software Environment," Computer Education Journal (China), Vol. 7, pp. 47-51, 2009-04-00
- Bo Chen and Chuanzhi Zang, "Artificial Immune Pattern Recognition for Structure Damage Classification," Computers & Structures, vol. 87, no. 21-22, pp. 1394-1407, 2009.
- Bo Chen, Harry H. Cheng, and Joe Palen, "Integrating Mobile Agent Technology with Multi-Agent Systems for Distributed Traffic Detection and Management Systems," Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1-10, 2009.
Dr. Chen teaches on topics of embedded control system design and automotive control systems.