Jason R. Blough
- MEEM 808
- Interim Chair and Distinguished Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- Clean Snowmobile Team Faculty Advisor
- PhD, University of Cincinnati
Dr. Blough’s research includes dynamic measurement problems, developing new digital signal processing algorithms to understand NVH type problems and ways to improve the NVH characteristics of virtually any machine. He has made measurements on items as small as individual turbine blades to items as large as 45m diameter radio telescopes and many machines in between including automobiles, snowmobiles, M1 tanks, locomotives, and appliances. He has worked on automotive and snowmobile powertrains and other vehicle components to make them quieter. Currently, he is researching the implementation of active noise control systems in passenger vehicles.
Dr. Blough developed order tracking algorithms for processing data on rotating machinery
that are commercially licensed. Additional digital signal processing projects have
included Kalman Filter development for a specific automotive application
and Sound and Vibration Quality Jury and metric studies.
Dr. Blough is well versed in nearly all experimental NVH techniques including Modal Analysis, Transfer Path Analysis, Time-Frequency analysis, etc. He routinely teaches many of these techniques in the classroom and industry short courses. He also has experience in FEA and multi-body dynamics modeling.
Areas of Expertise
- Unique Instrumentation/Data Acquisition
- Digital Signal Processing
- Noise Control
- Dynamic Measurement Problems
- Developing new digital signal processing algorithms to understand NVH type problems
- Ways to improve the NVH characteristics of virtually any machine
- L. Jia, J. D. Naber, and J. R. Blough, “Review of Sensing Methodologies for Estimation of Combustion Metrics,” Journal of Combustion, Mar 2016, Article No. 8593523, 9 pages, DOI:10.1155/2016/8593523 Read More
- L. B. Jia, J. D. Naber, and J. R. Blough, “Frequency Response Function Adaptation for Reconstruction of Combustion Signature in a 9-L Diesel Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part C-Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Dec, 2015, Vol. 229, No. 17, pp. 3071-3083, DOI:10.1177/0954406215569256 Read More
- Jia, Libin, Blough, Jason R., Naber, Jeffrey D., Zekavat, Seyed A., 2014, "Accelerometer-Based Combustion Metrics Reconstruction With Radial Basis Function Neural Network for a 9 L Diesel Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 13(3), March 1, 2014, Article No. 031507, 9 pages, DOI: 10.1115/1.4025886.
- Blough, Jason, Dilworth, B., 2010, "Realization of Ground Effects on Snowmobile Pass-by Noise Testing," SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, Vol. 2. Read More
- Blough, Jason, Londhe, N., 2009, "Application of the ISO 13472-1 in Situ Technique for Measuring the Acoustic Absorption Coefficient of Grass and Artificial Turf Surfaces," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 70, Issue 1, pp. 129-141. Read More
- Blough, Jason, Anderson, Carl, Miers, Scott, Barna, Glen L., Koray Inal, M., 2008, "A Wireless Microwave Telemetry Data Transfer Technique for Reciprocating and Rotating Components," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Volume 130, Issue 2, 025001, 9 pages.
- Blough, Jason, Anderson, Carl, Johnson, Mark, Robinette, Darrell L., Schweitzer, Jean, 2007, "Characterizing the Effect of Automotive Torque Converter Design Parameters on the Onset of Cavitation at Stall," SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars- Mechanical Systems, Document Number: 2007-01-2231.
- Blough, Jason, Rao, Mohan D., Ge, Tony, Johnson, David, Van Karsen, Jeffrey, 2007, "Estimation of Powertrain Inertia Properties via an In-situ Method," SAE 2007 Transactions- Journal of Passenger Cars Mechanical Systems, Document Number: 2007-01-2410.
- Blough, Jason, Dilworth, Brandon, 2007, “Implementation of the Time Variant Discrete Fourier Transform as a Real-Time Order Tracking Method,” SAE 2007 Transactions-Journal of Passenger Cars Mechanical Systems.
- Blough, J.R., Gwaltney, G. and Vizanko, J., “Quantifying How the Environment Effects SAE-J192 Pass-by Noise Testing of Snowmobiles,” Proceedings of the 2005 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, May 2005, Traverse City, MI. SAE Paper number: 05NVC-236.
- Kowalski, D., Blough, J.R., and Anderson, C., “Cavitation Detection in Automotive Torque Converters using Nearfield Acoustical Measurements,” SAE Noise & Vibration Conference and Exhibition, May 2005, Traverse City, MI, SAE paper number 2005-01-2516.
- Dhaliwal, A.S., Parker, G.G., and Blough, J.R., “Active Structural Acoustic Control of Road Noise in a Passenger Vehicle,” International Journal of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Special Issue on Intelligent Vehicle Systems, Volume 2, Numbers 3 & 4, pp. 168-188, 2004.
- Blough J.R. “A Survey of DSP Methods for Rotating Machinery Analysis, What is Needed, What is Available,” Special Edition of Journal of Sound and Vibration from India-USA Symposium 2001—Emerging Trends in Vibration and Noise Engineering, Dec. 2001.
Dr. Blough teaches classroom and industry short course topics on dynamic measurement, signal analysis, and other experimental noise, vibration, and harshness techniques.