- MEEM 1015
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics
- Lou and Herbert Wacker Professorship in Mechanical Engineering
- Energy-Thermo-Fluids (ETF) Area Director
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Florida
Dr. Sajjad Bigham is an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics at Michigan Technological University since 2016. He received his PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Florida in 2016. He is the director of the Energy-X Lab (Energy eXploration Laboratory) at Michigan Tech.
Dr. Bigham is a heat transfer and energy systems specialist interested in scientific and engineering challenges that lay at the intersection of thermal-fluid, material and energy sciences. Our lab, Energy-X (www.energyX-lab.com), is focused on understanding the fundamental transport science of important energy carriers at micro, nano and molecular scales. We designs, fabricates and examines a wide range of meso-, micro- and nano-devices/systems to understand their underlying physics and explore new technologies and performance breakthroughs.
Energy-X mission: Energy-X is a research group that specializes in energy science and technology. The increasing global demand for energy has stimulated intense research on energy conversion and storage systems. The mission of our lab is to improve energy efficiency, reliability, and economy of the process, component or system X; with X being our target technological area which spans from the energy sector to defense and environmental applications.
Links of Interest
Areas of Expertise
- Heat Transfer and Thermal Management
- Multiphase Flows and Phase-change Phenomena
- Energy Systems
- Micro- and Nano-fabrication Techniques
- Microscale Heat Transfer
- Microscale Physics of Boiling and Condensation Heat Transfer
- Interfacial Transport Phenomena at Extreme Temperatures and Pressures
- Multiphase Systems under Harsh Operating Conditions
- HVAC&R Systems
- Desalination Systems
- Micro- and Nano-engineered Materials
- Energy Conversion and Storage Devices
- “A novel lung-inspired 3D-printed desiccant-coated heat exchanger for high-performance humidity management in buildings”, Umamaheswar Puttur, Masoud Ahmadi, Behzad Ahmadi, Sajjad Bigham, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 252, 2022.
- “Performance Evaluation of hi-k Lung-inspired 3D-printed Polymer Heat Exchangers”, Behzad Ahmadi, Sajjad Bigham, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 204, 2022.
- “Performance Analysis and Limiting Parameters of Cross-flow Membrane-based Liquid-desiccant Air Dehumidifiers”, Behnam Ahmadi, Masoud Ahmadi, Kashif Nawaz, Ayyoub M. Momen, Sajjad Bigham, International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol. 132, 2021.
- “Multiple-effect Desiccant-based Zero Liquid Discharge Desalination Systems”, Sunil Pinnu, Sajjad Bigham, Desalination, Vol. 502, 2021.
- “Energy-efficient Sorption-based Gas Clothes Dryer Systems”, Masoud Ahmadi, Kyle Gluesenkamp, Sajjad Bigham, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 230, 2021.
- “Gradient Wick Channels for Enhanced Flow Boiling HTC and Delayed CHF”, Masoud Ahmadi, Sajjad Bigham, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 167, 2021.
- “Physics of the Microchannel Flow Boiling Process and Comparison With the Existing Theories”, S. Bigham, S. Moghaddam, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 139, 2017.
- “Enhanced second and third harmonic generations of vertical and planar spiral MoS2 nanosheets”, Jinlin Zhang, Mingxiao Ye, Shiva Bhandari, Aeshah Khudaysh M Muqri, Fei Long, Sajjad Bigham, Yoke Khin Yap, Jae Yong Suh, Nanotechnology, Issue 28, 2017.
- “Physics of microstructures enhancement of thin film evaporation heat transfer in microchannel flow boiling”, S. Bigham, A. Fazeli, S. Moghaddam, Scientific Reports, Published online on March 17, 2017.
- “Role of bubble growth dynamics on microscale heat transfer events in microchannel flow boiling process”, S. Bigham, S. Moghaddam, Applied Physics Letter, Vol. 107, Issue 24, 244103-9.
- “Microscale Layering of Liquid and Vapor Phases within Microstructures for a New Generation Two-Phase Heat Sink”, A. Fazeli, S. Bigham, S. Moghaddam, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 95 (2016) 368-378.
- “Microscale study of mechanisms of heat transfer during flow boiling in a microchannel”, S. Bigham, S. Moghaddam, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 88 (2015) 111-121.
- “Impact of micromixing on performance of a membrane-based absorber”, R. N. Isfahani, S. Bigham, M. Mortazavi, S. Moghaddam, Energy, (2015) 1-8.
- “Absorption characteristics of falling film LiBr (lithium bromide) solution over a finned structure”, M. Mortazavi, R. N. Isfahani, S. Bigham, S. Moghaddam, Energy, VOl 87 (2015) 270-278.
- “Moving beyond the limits of mass transport in liquid absorbent microfilms through the implementation of surface-induced vortices”, S. Bigham, D. Yu, D. Chugh, S. Moghaddam, Energy, Vol. 65 (2014) 621-630.
- “Direct Molecular Diffusion and Micro-mixing for Rapid Dewatering of LiBr Solution”, S. Bigham, R. N. Isfahani, S. Moghaddam, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 64 (2014) Issues 1–2, 371–375.
- “Physics of lithium bromide (LiBr) solution dewatering through vapor venting membranes”, R. N. Isfahani, A. Fazeli, S. Bigham, S. Moghaddam, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 58 (2014) 27-38.
- “A general guide to design of falling film evaporators utilized in multi effect desalination units operating at high vapor qualities under a sub-atmospheric condition”, S. Bigham, R. Kouhikamali, M. P. Zadeh, Energy, Vol. 84 (2014) 279-288.