The communication demands of graduate school have much higher stakes than you faced as an undergrad. Now you have an advisor who expects you to conduct innovative research—then publish that research in scholarly journals and present at conferences. You may also be called upon to put together proposals to funding agencies such as the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Energy, or NASA. The Mechanical Engineering Department and Michigan Tech offer a variety of tools to help you accomplish your goals.
The materials and links on this page cover best practices and rules for everything from the thesis/dissertation process to documenting and presenting research.
- "Publishing Your Research" PowerPoint Presentation
- MEEM 6010 Engineering Research Communication
- Graduate School Guidelines for Thesis, Dissertations, and Reports
- Purdue Online Writing Lab
- Stanford University’s "Writing in the Sciences" Video Series